Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneway vs. Stubby vs. Vicmarc

Oneway vs. Stubby vs. Vicmarc

All of a sudden I have become interested in turning. I've researced a little but have never tried one of those spinning machines. I'll probably take an intro class and bowl class at WoodCraft in Sept. but I'm interested in buying a lathe now. My attack usually is to buy the best within reason and then grow into it. I kick myself every time if I don't get really good equipment. Just returned from AWFS and it looks like it's between Oneway 2436, Stubby, and Vicmarc. I saw the Oneway and Vicmarc in person but never saw a Stubby (not at show). I know that they are all great machines and the pieces I produce will depend on the talent that I develop, but I would appreciate some personal comparisons of these 3 machines and your final recommendation. The obvious question in your mind is, what will I be using it for (spindles, pens, bowls,etc.). At this point I'm really not sure, so I don't want to be too limited. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bob Michaels; 07-23-2007 at 10:41 PM.

If you are seriously considering that kind of investment, do a search for Robust and read up on them. They deserve some attention.

Bob,

If you have not done any spinning thing, your best bet is to get a mini lathe first. If money is no object, Vicmarc VL100. Jet mini is almost as good at a fraction of the price. A lot of people still keep their mini lathe when they get a bigger lathe. Get your feet wet first.

You have to know what your main interests are before you know which lathe is best for you.

Take a week long class at Arrowmont, you will have the chance to try out each of the lathes you mentioned. If you happen to like cross country racing, a Formula I racer won't be the best for you. If you like to turn big bowls and platters, you may also want to consider a bowl lathe like VB-36. If you enjoy doing pens, you may have to special order a pens mandrel with #3 Morse Taper or something with 2½" spindle thread size for the monster.

Gordon

The best 'does it all' lathe in the medium price range is the PM 3520 B. The Robust is the best next step up (well in my opinion). If you want a bowl lathe, the VB36 is worth lusting after. All will have good resale value. The Robust lathes are about 3 months out I think on orders. Then come all the accessories that go with them, chucks, gouges, scrapers, skews, face plates, calipers, sanding and finishing supplies, grinder and jigs for sharpening, lights, dust collector, hollowing tools, coring systems, a shop to put it all in, wood, and the list goes on, and on, and on.............
    robo hippy

Oh yes... the abyss. I started with a Jet Mini on sale at amazon for less than $250. I then backed up that smart buy with about $1K worth of accessories.
    You've opened a can of worms on this question. A lot of personal preference comes into a lot of these decisions though, and everyone loves their lathe that they have dropped a lot of coin on. As mentioned before you should really get an idea of what you want to turn. You could go spend 6-7K on a real nice bowl lathe and then decide you really want to turn table legs. Personally, I like lathes that have options to turn outboard as well as decent size inboard. No matter what you get you'll want to max out the swing sometime just to say you've done it.
    Good luck!
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

A few years ago when I was lathe shopping I looked at those three lathes and chose the Oneway 2436. The Stubby is an interesting machine but I wanted something better suited for spindles. I chose the Oneway over the Vicmarc because of the expandability of the lathe. If I want I can add another 10' or so between centers, I can also add a decent capacity outboard capacity (48" swing) if I want. That kind of flexability is something not available in the Stubby or Vicmarc but is available with the Oneway. As for starting out get a Jet mini EVS and learn to turn. You'll still be spending money on turning tools, chucks, and sharpening gear; all of which will transfer over to a larger lathe if you go that route. Then, after a year or two when you have some idea of what you want to turn, you can make an intellegent decission as to which large lathe to get.

well, I am a bit like you, I usually go to the best machine out there before I know if I need it, but in my case, I had a Jet mini, outgrew that in a month, bought a Nova DVR, outgrew that in 6 months and finally ended up getting a Stubby 1000 and love that machine, so it's up to you, you know yourself. turning on any of the "high end" machines is an amazing experience, I didn't like the mini all that much because of obvious limitations.

I group lathes different. the oneway/robust /Vicmarc and similar are amazing spindle lathes with great bowl capability, the Stubby/VB36/Vega are amazing bowl lathes with great spindle capability.
    I know I don't wanna turn spindles.....ever, I don't enjoy that look in furniture building, but I know I could do around 31or 32" with my stubby with the bed pulled out.
    but I can turn 20" bowls over the bed, 44" with the bed pulled out and I can rotate the bed and attach an additional short bed on 5 different points of the lathe/bed. the positions are endless. it also has 2 banjos.

another important thing for me was size, amazing how "small" the stubby is compared to the other lathes.

either way, enjoy which ever lathe you get
    Sascha

Here is what I have. My combo works very well. I have a Stubby 750 for bowls and a Oneway 12/24 with a bed extension for spindle work. I am starting to make custom spindles for folks that need replacements and the Oneway works great for that.

I mentor for my club as well and some are intimadated by the Stubby so its the Oneway to the rescue.

Terry

I'm a Stubby owner. I turned on most of the "non mass market" machines before settling on the Stubby. It fits how I turn much better than any of the machines that have more heritage as spindle machines than something designed for bowls and vessels. And 30" inboard is a very nice feature for platter work or even small table tops. You should really try to turn on all the machines you are considering...or at least look at them up close and personal. You've done the latter at the show for most. Conact Bill Rubinstein, the distributor for Stubby and see who is in your area as an owner. And you're certainly welcome to drive down here to see mine.

For me, the OneWay, while an extraordinary machine, was terribly uncomfortable for me for hollowing, etc...and I don't prefer outboard 'cause that makes the footprint even bigger. Same for the Vicmark and at the time, Poolewood. Great machines, but too large and discomforting for the turning I like to do. The Stubby was more compact, just as heavy and a lot more flexible...and I can still do spindle work to about 30". Robust was not available at the time...a very nice machine, but I suspect I would have felt the same way relative to the bed format for my kind of turning.

Bottom line is that your comfort is most important when choosing a high-end lathe investment.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-24-2007 at 3:26 PM. Reason: Highlight advise previously given consistent with others'...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bob, we can all tell you why you should buy the lathe that each one of us has - well, except me, since I have a Poolewood, and you can't get them anymore. Once you get to this level of machine, you are going to be looking at features more than quality, since they are all good machines. The best thing you can do is spend time on the machines you are considering. Some people like some things and some like others.

Oh yeah, that Poolewood? I have been using it and happy with it for the past eight years, but it is going away shortly to be replaced by a Robust. You might want to check them out as well.

There is a turning club in Rochester, and I am sure that most, if not all of the top machines are represented among the members. For a purchase of this size, it would be worth your while to see about spending time on the machines you like by getting involved in the club. Besides, you will have a lot of fun in the process.

Bill

Bob, I typically stay out of these conversations for obvious reasons. I just got my Oneway 2436 and I absolutely love it, Jim loves his Stubby, etc. etc., etc. I think Bill Grumbine has offered you the best advise. Check them all out, turn on them and then make your own decission. They are all top notch machines.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Bill's advise is spot on! Try all the machines you are considering before you spend your money. Try local turning clubs or take a weekend or week long course at Arrowmont as they have all the machines you mentioned. A turning course will give you the basics and you may determine if spindle work or bowls are your primary interest.

I may have to look at Stubbys. I just noticed today they have a max spindle height of 53" which would be great for me. And I live pretty close to Bill Rubenstein.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Yea, you do live close, Gary...Stubby-Central is right in your backyard! The height adjustability is great so you can zero-in on what's most comfortable for you. I run mine at about 47" (I'm 5'11") and that works for my bowl and hollow form work nicely. A few more inches for your stature certainly makes sense!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded. The consensus obviously suggests acquiring some experience on the various machines, so I can make an informed decision. That certainly is sound advice and, at this juncture, I'm ready to slow down and follow through on that advice. What I conclude is that a lathe is somewhat of a personal decision as to how it *feels* for one's self. I've never been able to buy a pair of shoes via internet or mail order because I couldn't try them on. The long term investment in a quality lathe appears to be the same situation, namely, it's gotta feel good. As a card carrying member of the Rochester Woodworkers Society I do have access to the turning SIG and that will be my first approach to actually experience the various machines. I had initially intended to purchase a Jet Mini and get my feet wet with that, but frankly, I know I would outgrow a Mini very quickly like Sascha did, as I would want to experience turning larger pieces.

Jim Becker - thanks for your sage advice and gracious invitation. Helene's sister lives in York and I may just be in your area this summer.

Bill, Terry, Sascha, Keith, Gordon, et al - thanks for your good comments. Really helpful advice from knowledgable people.

Regards, Bob