Thread: Turning Tool Selection - brands, etc.?

Turning Tool Selection - brands, etc.?

I have a great older MiniMax CT-120 duplicating lathe, which by the way is great for its intended purpose - fast and easy to make parts for stools and chairs.

This lathe came with a old well abused set of turning tools which I am in the process of trying to save.

As I am new to turning will likely also get a mini lathe to develop my skills on... The CT-120 is a pain to switch from duplicating to manual mode.

To the point... looking to buy some new turning tools... a couple at a time as needed and wondering about brand? Pros and Cons, etc. I guess I would like to buy very good ones as they will stay with me for some time even if the various lathes don't.

Seems like choices are all over the map Sorby, Crown Pro, Henry Taylor, OneWay, etc. Prices seem to range from $40 to $110 or so depending on specifics but frankly price doesn't seem to be the big factor, especially if you buy them over a period of time.

Anyway - advice & opinions please!

Thx Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Take a look at:
    thompsonlathetools.com
    I have Glaser, Oneway MasterCut, Sorby, Crown Pro PM, Henry Taylor, P&N, Hamlet and Harbor Frieght turning gouges.
    The Thompson Tools are my favorite now. I also think they are the best buy. Doug is a member of our Club. He makes his tools from A-11 HSS steel that has more edge holding ability. They are comparable to tools that are selling more than double. He himself is also a woodturner. He is going to demo on hat turning at one of our Club next month.

He took his gouges to our Club and let members take home to use them for a month. Most of us like them so much that we bought the tools instead of returning to him in the following meeting. As he explains, the cost of A-11 steel, triple heat treating and cryogenic treatment are very expensive. The only way they can be affordable is selling direct and words of mouth.

Gordon

P.S. I am just a happy customer, absolutely no financial interest in Thompson gouges. If you don't like his gouge, he will buy it back.

Gordon - thx for the input and that is a great idea. You are right, there are many great tool companies, some of which are small and make great products. I always like when I can buy something of high quality from the maker so I will give Thompson a serious look!

Thx again - Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Tools...

Lots of personal experiences/opinions on that subject. I have yet to try the Thompson tools myself but have not heard or read 1 bad thing about them yet anywhere. Seems he has a very good thing going. I wish him lots of luck and hope to try his tools soon. I'm sure you would do well to give him a chance. I believe he really understands the materials and processes involved.

That said, I like the Crown Pro-PM tools a lot. I also have become enamored with the Oneway bowl gouges. Not a big fan of Sorby's. I like Crown and Hamlet tools in general. Craft Supplies USA has an inexpensive line called Artisan made by Henry Taylor that are excellent and cost effective. Almost too many choices today. Lots of good tools out there.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Bill,
    You've hit the big names. I think HSS tools are fine for most turners and if you want a special fancy powder metal tool so be it but they do not need to be the majority of your collection.

Go for price on the popular names:

Sorby are cheapest at Grizzly

Henry Taylor factory seconds are sold by Crafts Supply under the name Artisan tools and can save you a few bucks per stick.

The Woodcraft Pinnacle tool is a reasonable value. I like the steel but the handle is lightweight and too big in diameter for me.

I have a big P&N and a big Oneway bowl gouges both are fun for hogging off material.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Can't really help you out on the more expensive tools as LOML is cheap and won't let me buy them. But the HF HSS set is not too bad if you replace the handles. I have taken the handles off and turned some out of maple to get a longer, heaftier, and non-varnished surface.

I have used the Crown pro seties, and they are nice!!! Sorby bowl gouge is also nice. Again I don't own these just have used them at my mentor's shop.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Hey....go cheap.!!

Order you some P&N gouges/tools, turn you some handles that fit "your" hands and turn all you want. The P&N's are HSS, hold an edge well, and I have been very happy with them for a few years now. You don't want to spend a lot of money on turning tools until you learn how to sharpen, figure out what grind/profile you like to turn with, which turning tools you will use the most, and such as this. Once you have sharpening down, have the profile/grinds you like and use all the time, THEN, it's time to purchase the more expensive turning tools. I have a Thompson 3/8" that I like for roughing. It is a different grind, but I like how well it holds an edge.

In short, the P&N tools are as good as if not better than any Crown/Sorby turning tool I've ever used. IMHO, you can't beat the quality and tool for the price you pay.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.