Thread: First NE

First NE

Here is a pic of my first NE bowl. I think it is locust finished with Minwax Tounge Oil Finish. It's around 3.5"hX5.5"w. Critiques are welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff Bower; 07-25-2007 at 5:40 PM. Reason: spelling

I peraonally would like to see a shot from a little higher angle to see the inside more. It looks to be a little thick. The wood is absolutely wonderful. I like the shape, but for total form like I said it seems a little on the heavy side. Could be the camera angle, not sure. What is your wall thickness?
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

That will get you started. My first NE bowl was a little thick too.

Great first NE. I agree without seeing a different angle looks a little thick but then my first one was that way. I was afraid of going thru the side. Keep'em coming.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the comments. The walls are a little heavy, but hey I'm just getting started. I think the sides are around more than 1/4" but less than 1/2". I don't have it as my MIL bought it!! She insisted she pay for it since I've given her a few other bowls. She also keeps an eye out for wood for me!! Here are a few more shots from above I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Much better pictures this time Jeff. The first pic really looked like it was over an inch thick. I have yet to do a NE, but I think this looks great for a first. (hope mine will turn out as well).
    Mike

Wow Jeff - that's quite the wood! Very nice first effort!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Much better pic I also thought it looked like the walls realllllllly thick on the first pic.
    Since you asked for a critique here is my take. The wall thickness for this sized piece does not bother me. I know many preferr them thinner but it does not bother me. Their are two things I do not like about this. The edge does not appear to be natural in spots and solid wood in other. I like more consistency on the edge one way or another.
    The shape of the outside I am not crazy about it looks like you need a much smaller base for this.
    These are just my opinions and it is kind of hard to tell detail in the pictures so take it with a grain of salt.
    Mike Vickery

sweet piece jeff keep up the good work

i love the form and finish

Well Jeff thats not bad for your first HF... certainly better than I did.
    And hey you SOLD it so someone is happy with it...keep up the good work
    Ron

Sorry Jeff its hardly a HF ....NE is what I meant but you knew that
    Ron

Exclamation

That is nice Mr.Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have wood, will turn!!

Blog Entries
    You got a good start there Jeff, keep em comin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf