Thread: Finish for Window Molding

Finish for Window Molding

I am going to replace the interior window molding in our house. It is pine. The current molding's finish has flaked off after 28 years on the windows, some of the flaking is due to moisture issues, which I have taken care of for the most part. These are South facing windows and thus see a lot of sunlight and UV. I am looking for a clear, UV resistant finish.

Thanks,

Mike

Particularly if these are single pane windows, I would choose a good marine spar varnish--Epifanes Gloss, Interlux Schooner, or Pettit Captain's. Even so you can expect to have to add a refresher coat occasionally, when ever you notice the finish dulling, or if they should get dinged. If these are double pane you can expect quite a bit longer life from varnish.

These are double pane windows. How bad are the fumes from the varnish? How would it be applied?

Thanks,

Mike

You would apply this with a brush. This the first coat and then apply several full strength coat. These are very high quality varnishes and flow on very well and level perfectly. Behind double pane windows you probably don't need the full 6 or more coats called for in the manufacturers label directions. It's oil based varnish so there is some odor, I wouldn't find it horrible since it is only going on a limited area of trim. Good ventilation is always a good idea--even with waterborne products whose vapors don't smell very strong but which shouldn't be breathed in concentration either.

Just my opinion, Steve's right on target for you, Marine grade varnish applied by brush. Very good UV protection and moisture protection. Needs to be re-freshed every so often (I do it twice a year, spring/fall on the deck). Works pretty well. Last deck lasted 22 years and that gets lots of sun exposure on the west side. Best to you! Jude