Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning engraved marble

cleaning engraved marble

I have a really nice demo engraving that my kids touched with their usual greasy fingers. Anyone know how to clean it? I've tried pretty much everything except running it through the dishwasher. I thought for sure an electric toothbrush and citrus cleaner would work, but there is no noticable difference.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Try DNA, or regular dish detergent. Windex might work but I wouldn't use it repeatedly. Anything containing citric acid will etch the finish of marble, so use care.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 07-18-2007 at 6:24 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Use hot water and dishwashing soap. After you get it clean rub some white shoe polish on it.

Use micro fibre cloths, they don't need detergents only water! Use a wet one to wipe over it and the dry one will bring it off like it was never there. I swear by them for granite stuff that I do and for use on mirrors.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Craig ,
    I have a question, is it real marble or laser grade black. Much of the laser grade marble is made up of crushed and reconstructed material, that will soak oil in and leave it stained as it mixes with the dye that was used in the processing of making it. Natural marble cleans easily the laser grade can differ from piece to piece.
    There is granite marlbe cleaners which will clean natural marble, but will make the laser marble dull.
    Garry McKinney
    A new day is a new chance.

Garry, it's the laser grade from laser sketch. I've tried all the suggestions except for DNA (mainly cuz I have no idea what that is) and I've decided to just sorta go with James suggestion and just paint it white.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

DNA is denatured alcohol. The kind you get at paint stores or the borg.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks. I do have some too!! I'll give it a shot.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Your first idea is not bad!! Put it in the dish washer.. It have cleaned many things in the dishwasher (as my wife looked on horrified ).. For a example on removing grease! A dishwasher does a GREAT job of removing the preservative cosmoline(sp?) from old wooden gun stocks.. They come out clean as a whistle.. The hot water will even lift the dents from the wood .. No reason it won't remove 'greasy kid stuff' from marble!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

... add to this post.

I don't mean to steal this thread, but it is along the same line.

Say someone wants to grout these tiles, marble, granite to a wall or floor. How do you protect the engraving and what with.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Anthony,

I would seal the engraving with a heavy mil plastic and duct tape the edges so the engraving was protected from the work and the grout. Then remove it after the grout work is done. Just leave enough on the tile to give a sealing edge between the grout and the engraving, another way would be to glue the tile and then use chaulk , less abrassive and more control.
    Garry McKinney
    A new day is a new chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Welch View Post
    I don't mean to steal this thread, but it is along the same line.

Say someone wants to grout these tiles, marble, granite to a wall or floor. How do you protect the engraving and what with.
    I would like to know myself...
    Epilog 75 Watt 36 EXT... Corel X3... PhotoGraV...

I ended up painting it with an oil based exterior house paint. I put a small dab on a t-shirt, smeared it on and spread it around with a t-shirt dipped in mineral spirits. Took about 5 minutes on a 12x24 piece. I wish I had a picture of it after my kids got to it. It was virtually destroyed, and now I can put wet soda can on it and the water just wipes off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hogarth View Post
    I ended up painting it with an oil based exterior house paint. I put a small dab on a t-shirt, smeared it on and spread it around with a t-shirt dipped in mineral spirits. Took about 5 minutes on a 12x24 piece. I wish I had a picture of it after my kids got to it. It was virtually destroyed, and now I can put wet soda can on it and the water just wipes off.

That piece looks beautiful!!!

I have the same problem with my demo pieces... Smudges everywhere... Everything I have tried has made it look dark and dull...

House paint??? What color or was it a clear sealer?

Thanks Mark...
    Epilog 75 Watt 36 EXT... Corel X3... PhotoGraV...

Great job Craig,
    I hope to be able to hold a torch to that some day...
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe