Thread: Curly maple...soft or hard?

Curly maple...soft or hard?

Hey all,

I've a project (actually three) for a local magazine and one of them includes a desktop in curly maple. The publisher really liked the heft of the previous 8/4 (final 1 1/2") table I made for him. So I'm in need of some 8/4 curly maple. My local supplier only has it in soft maple and couldn't be sure that it wouldn't have the similar silver tones that regular soft maple has. I called around and and no one has 8/4 hard maple. I found a place in PA (I'm in MA) that also has 8/4 soft, but says that it won't have the silver streaks.

I really don't want to go through the bleaching process again and this guy wants very light and very curly. I suspect if i can find a supplier of 8/4 curly hard - he'd pay!!

Any thoughts, insight or suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I can't believe you can't find curly hard maple in your area! There's a ton of suppliers. Here's just one:
    http://www.curlymaple.com/hardmpl.shtml

As a general rule, soft maple will have more of a "silvery" tone than hard although I have seen plenty of soft CM that is pretty white. Hard maple will generally tend more to amber tones. Curly figure varies wildly in both ranging from tight "fiddleback" curl to a larger "blister" type figure. If you can't buy locally, order from a reliable supplier who will represent the wood accurately. As long as you deal with a good vendor, there's no reason not to order from outside your area. There is a lot of nice CM available out of the Pacific NW. Gilmer is a good supplier in that area.
    David DeCristoforo

try www.curlymaple.com or groff&groff. Call either of them and ask them what you're looking for. You'll probably want a flitch of 8/4 curly maple 10" wide or better. Major wallet biopsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    try www.curlymaple.com or groff&groff. Call either of them and ask them what you're looking for. You'll probably want a flitch of 8/4 curly maple 10" wide or better. Major wallet biopsy.

Hmm.....try buying instrument grade bigleaf curly maple! For the price of your average silver (soft) maple big enough for a table top you get a 20 x 7 x 2 billet which you have to resaw and hope no pitch pockets or other mineral deposits exist inside.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

5. eBay curly source

If you log onto eBay and go here: http://stores.ebay.com/Superior-Maple-Products

or search eBay for "Superior Maple Products."

I have dealt with Wayne for some time. His descriptions are always accurate, shipments always prompt, wood always great quality and he will combine items for economical shipping. He classes the figure and what you see in the photos are what you get.

Charles

I've bought from Wayne as well and been happy with the transactions. Will the customer really know the difference? I don't recall the statistics, but I remember reading that curly hard maple is much more rare than soft. I think I'd go for figure first.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Have you tried Condon Lumber in White Plains, NY? They have huge quantities of domestic and imported hardwood and may have just what you are looking for, and great people to deal with. I used to live near their upstate warehouse, but had to move South many years ago.

M.L. CONDON 248 Ferris Ave. White Plains, NY 10603 tel: 914-946-4111 fax: 914-946-3779 Lumber, plywood, mouldings, custom millwork, veneers, etc.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Paxson View Post
    If you log onto eBay and go here: http://stores.ebay.com/Superior-Maple-Products

or search eBay for "Superior Maple Products."

I have dealt with Wayne for some time. His descriptions are always accurate, shipments always prompt, wood always great quality and he will combine items for economical shipping. He classes the figure and what you see in the photos are what you get.

Charles
    Charles I think this post is over a year old. Joe doesnt have his shop anymore I believe. Last I kneow he was liquidating.

it has a specific density of 0.5 and for reference red oak has a sd of .7 (harder)