Thread: Finish for Cedar for Outdoor Project

Finish for Cedar for Outdoor Project

I built a picnic table many years ago and recall w/ sealer I could only maintain the original cedar look for a couple of years before resorting to a semi-transparent stain.

This year I have built a replacement picnic table and an arbor swing. Both made of cedar and the wife demands the original look remain. Are there any new products on the market to do this or is it best to use stain?

Also, I finished the arbor yesterday and now need to build the swing. The plans I have call for using oak for this outdoor project. I didn't think oak was a good choice for outdoor use. Any suggestions on an outdoor finish for oak or substitute wood?

Thanks,

Mike

There's nothing that will maintain the color indefinitely. The hardiest clear finish is a coat of epoxy followed by 6-8 coats of a good spar varnish with UV inhibitors. I don't know that it would be practical on projects that large, though. Even then, the varnish would have to be refreshed every year or two.

If you make the swing from Oak, use White Oak. It is weather resistant whereas Red Oak will rot pretty rapidly outdoors. The longest-lasting outdoor finish you can put on it is paint but if you don't want to do that, see the above recipe.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

3. I built a cedar addition onto my house, and also a cedar shed. In my quest to maintain the natural cedar look, I went finish shopping. Many builders claim that their isn't anything you can finish cedar with, that will last. I spoke to a paint rep in Home Depot, and he said, "Nothings works forever, except the Sikkens line, and that will cost you $100 for a gallon of base coat, and a gallon of top coat". (That is $50 each) So I went for it, and have to say that I built the addition, and the shed over 5 years ago, and neither has shown any sign of wear. (Although Sikkens themselves provides a power washing, and top coating schedule after 2 or 3 years, and I did finally power wash the surface this year to get the surface clean, but I did not top coat it. )

Sikkens contains a large amount of ultravoilet absorbers, the rays of the sun that breaks down clear finishes. (Somethinng I learned from 20 years of experience owning a body shop. Clear finishes used to come through clear, then with all of the long term cracking problems, they added the absorber, and they went amber instead) They also have a line of outdoor stains, that would not be as expensive as their two step finishes.

For interior finishing as in the inside of the cedar addition, I opted for Minwax exterior grade urethanes. They don't last as long as the Sikkens for outside use, but do a beautiful job inside. Minwax does not have so much of the deeper amber absorber in it, so it allows more of the beauty of the grain to show through. This is a shot of the same Home Depot cedar used on the inside of the addition.

As a final note: Since you mentioned that you are going to use it on a picnic table, please check the manufacturers directions when using finishes for food/eating surfaces, including those mentioned here.
    For more information on Sikkens exterior product line, here is the link
    http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product-c...egory=exterior
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 07-30-2007 at 4:18 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

That's very fine-looking persistence on that finish. Thanks for the tip.

Cedar finish

Hi Ed,
    I just finished a Arbor out of bargain Red Wood and finished it with Bear
    Cedar stain and finish from the HD. Came out great.$30.00 a gallon.
    Dick