Thread: Hand Saw Mark

Hand Saw Mark

Does anyone recognize the mark that I tried to draw in the attached picture? This is a saw that I had gotten from my Dad before he died 18 years ago. he kept it under a shed and exposed to the weather and I am just getting around to cleaning it up. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

I hope the image shows up it is an attachment.

James Davis
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hand Saw Mark

Let me try another Image
    Attached Images Attached Images

London Spring Steel indicates a Disston high-end hand saw. I know of no #125, however. It's may be a #12, #112 or a #120, all valuable saws if the blades have good life remaining.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Etch is wrong design for a Disston, I suspect.

But there were several makers and or hardware stores that Disston custom etched saws for. It's possible they had a different numbering system.

As well, there were several companies which used the marketing ploy of 'London Spring Steel' (all Disston steel was the same composition).

Prior to Disston and shortly after he started in this country, London Spring Steel actually was meant to distinguish the type of steel from the other types used for saws. However, those early Disston saws were not marked thus (no etching anyway at that time).

Look at the medallion. One chance in one hundred it isn't a Warranted Superior medallion. But if it is something else, that will identify the maker.

Also look at the etch from varying angles of raking light. Sometimes you'll be able to make out shapes of letters. With a last name, chances are I can help.

Take care, Mike

Take care, Mike

Hand Saw Mark

Mike,
    As you suspected the medallion is marked "Warrented Superior" it has an Eagle in the middle that looks like it has been lifting weights. A rather buff bird, if you know what I mean. It is a stamped steel medallion.

The etch has the same buzz words as the one that Bob posted. London Spring Steel and Patent Ground. I tried to scan the etch but no such luck.

Any information would be appreciated

James Davis

Hi James, most makers recycled the same words on various saws.

If you can interpret more of a name, it'll help. Else it will be like so many saws which have lost an etch (unidentifiable), but with a great exception: It was your dad's saw.

Take care, Mike

When you've finished cleaning up the blade, degrease and apply a cold blue from a sporting goods store to the etch area. Then rub over it with 400-grit paper firmly affixed to a sanding block with the saw on a smooth surface to bring the balde back up to a high shine. Whatever is left of the etch will be brought out as clear as is possible.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff