Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My wife has approved a band saw purchase! 14", 16", or 17"?

Saw Choice

I have the grizzly 17" and really like it so far. 12" resaw capacity and 2 H.P. motor. The table is very solid. Couldn't beat the features to price comparison to other machines.

I was always under the impression that the "inches" given were from the rear support to the blade. As Jim said Resaw capacity may be an issue for you. I have a Laguna LT16. The LT14SE is a comparable saw and is very nice. What I like about it is that you have 12 inches of resaw. If you never use it to resaw it is nice to have for bandsawn boxes or boxes you can build whole and then bandsaw the top off. When considering affording a saw you might want to look at what you get for the money spent. I looked at the Jet and it looked viable. I then realized that I may want to soup the saw up later. when I looked into getting better guides and some other things I found that I would wind up spending more than if I bought the better saw out of the box. The hardest thing to do when we get the go ahead is wait for the right tool. My advice is to wait and gently remind SWMBO that you are saving for a better saw because in my case when I actually go to spend the bucks she is known to get amnesia! I have a Laguna Jim has a Mini-Max and there are some other great saws out there. The new Delta 18" is pretty nice as well for a good price. If you think you aren't getting a big enough saw you probably aren't. Good Luck.
    John

Hi Guys,

I bought the Jet 18" this summer. After seeing the Grizz 17" in person I have major buyers remorse. I feel the Grizz 17" is the best saw for the money. Grizz has also brought down the price on the 19".

I also recommend getting the Iturra design catalog. There is a lot of good information in it.

Happy hunting!
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    When it says a 16" band saw, where do they measure that from? is that the maximum thickness that can go through the saw?

I am completely new to woodworking. But I am positive this is something I will love to do forever so I am buying up equipment I need as I can afford it. I am not sure exactly what projects I will be getting into with it yet. I think something larger than 14" is where I want to go. Now I just have to find a used one at a good price.
    The larger the wheel, the less flex it gives the blade which causes brittleness and breakage. My 14 in. Delta has hardly ever broken a blade. My 10 in. broke one almost every time I used it. You can also put the riser block and rip to around 12 inches.