Thread: Should I cut down the cherry tree?

Should I cut down the cherry tree?

The Lovely Karen has been telling me about a "burly cherry tree" that she spotted out in our woods. We finally took a walk and went to look at it. I didnt take the camera..silly me. But what I found was a cherry about 18 inches in diameter that had large lumps (the burls) closely spaced around and up the tree for about 15 feet. The lumps appear to be where branches one were that died off and the wounds were encapsulated. They starting at the base and ran up about 15 feet or more. And unlike any cherry Ive ever seen this one had lots of dried sap on the bark Had to be the ugliest cherry tree Ive ever seen. But it did make me tingle.

I dont want to cut down this tree if I find that all I have is firewood. But on the other hand I may have found alot of highly figured wood. What should I be looking for? Ive never found a true burl on a cherry tree...

Thanks,
    Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Keen View Post
    Ive never found a true burl on a cherry tree...
    I turned a piece of cherry with some burl several weeks ago. It came from a tree that I helped to cut. Several others had been asking for it b/c of the burl.

I know what I'd do if I were you! In a heartbeat.

Edit: BTW, here is a recent thread that Bill G. posted from a cherry burl score.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 08-01-2007 at 5:00 PM.

Cherry trees gets burls all the time, and if you don't cut them they will only get bigger, unless the tree is dead. Let it grow more and keep an eye on it. More fun watching until the last moment comes.

Tom, sounds like a nice find! And maybe someone could help further, is it possible to scalp a burl or two off the tree, cover the wound with pruning paint and that the tree would go on producing for you? Just curious, and yep, Cherry burls are beautiful and fun to turn! Best to you, Jude

NO DON'T CUT IT!!!!!
    Just tell me where the tree is. I promise not to tell anyone else, or share the wood.... I meant......
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Tom,
    An included/covered over branch is not the same as a burl. You can sometimes find pretty wood around an included branch but don't count on it being anywhere near true burl quality. You often see wood like this advertised as "burl" on ebay even though it really isn't.

If it were me, I wouldn't cut it. I think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck,
    Dick

Tom, why not go back to the tree with a camera and get some detailed pictures to post here. From what you describe, you may be looking at scabs rather than burls. Scabs are lumps which form around a branch that has broken or rotted off. Sometimes they are hollow within, and that is called a cat's eye. I have no idea why, that is just the way it is. Sometimes they can have pretty wood in them, but most of the time it is just a lump with a hole in it. But if you can get some pictures, we might be better able to advise you.

By the way, I see Mark pointed you to my own thread on cherry burls. If you look at the pictures I posted, there are no branches or remnants of branches in the lumps. I am not sure the wood is actually burled, but the figure has turned out to be so spectacular that it doesn't matter whether it is a burl or not. In a few days the piece I turned will be ready to sand and oil, and then I will post pictures.

Bill

Another thought: according to the Biologist at the Idaho dept of Lands , you can slice off a burl with out hurting the tree using a sharp hand saw not a chain saw, check with locale University forestry dept or with your state dept of forestry , Idaho has a web page to ask questions about trees and they get fwd to the University of Idaho forestry dept. This makes sense as the arteries do not run thru the burl for the most part, and if you cut parallell with the trunk you will not be structurally hurting the tree. I looked in my folder for wood stuff but could not find the e-mail the biologist sent me.If your cherry tree is truly a burl , you can harvest just the burled portion and let it regrow, if it is a lump as Bill suggests , you will see it right away.If it is on public lands you may need a permit ,if private.. permission. Anyway check it out before you cut and good luck.
    John 3:16