Thread: Magnolia

Magnolia

As a result of the get together over at Mike Johnson's place this weekend there was a disucssion of magnolia as a turning wood. Even though I've been in a haze from eating too much of Mike's killer barbeque (great stuff!), I remembered my promise to post a pic of a magnolia piece I did a while back.

This piece was turned from a large limb where the grain tends to be a bit tighter. In my experience the trunk wood is a lot like pine without the rosin. It is, after all, a broadleafed connifer and has an almost rosin smell when you turn it. The difference between the hard and soft bands makes it difficult to get smoothed out on a bowl. It spalts quickly as most softer woods are prone to do. Obviously the growing conditions will have some effects on the tighness of the grain and overall quality of the wood, but for the most part I've found the relatively smaller pieces to be better for turning. My $0.2 on magnolia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice job! I've had my eye on a large magnolia trunk in the middle of a nearby vacant lot that's sure to go when they build on it.

Jim Izat

Nice!

Robert -

Those are pretty bowls. Amazing what turns out of relatively innocuous wood.

Ted

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Amazing

Originally posted by Ted Shrader
    Robert -

Those are pretty bowls. Amazing what turns out of relatively innocuous wood.

Ted
    <p align="center">
    "innocuous wood"

Teddy baby ! ! ! --- WOW -- where did you learn words like that?

Nice work Robert

If you want some more magnolia .... come on down ... I think its beautiful wood.

Very Nice