Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st HF

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. Smith View Post
    I'm still having some trouble picturing the upright form when it's on the lathe. I keep unscrewing the chuck to stand it up so I can get a look from several feet away.
    Take a piece of black card stock, put it behind the piece (lathe turned off) and look at it with your eyes slightly de-focused so you're not concentrating on the figure in the wood but rather looking at the edge. Constantly mounting and remounting can lead to, umm...Murphy smiling upon you.

And make sure that you have shoulder on the tenon for the top of the chuck jaws to sit against. It's more stable, stronger and safer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And make sure that you have shoulder on the tenon for the top of the chuck jaws to sit against. It's more stable, stronger and safer.
    Unfortunately this one was strictly glue block. I received the my new Nova G3 too late for this project. I like the idea of the black background, I'll definitely try that next time around. Thanks!
    Mike

No problem with the glue-block, Mike...you just leave the finishing of the bottom until the bitter end after hollowing and reversal on a jam chuck between centers. Perfectly valid and great way to turn! Price is right, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...