Thread: Chandler AZ free Acacia logs

Chandler AZ free Acacia logs

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...3896&encType=1

Investigateing Martin post I ran into the tree crew and they were taking down a huge Acacia. The supervisor set aside the main trunk for me.

My car is full and Kevin and I are going to be filling up his car in a little bit. I have a meeting at my kids school so can not go back to the site tonight. Their is more then will fit into Kevin's car left.

One piece that is currently their is about 26 inches and will need to be cut up to move. The rest are 16 to 20 inches and can be handled as is but lifting will be a 2 man job unless you cut them again. If you go and saw please clean up after yourself.

I promised the guy I would take all the wood so the HOA does not screem at him. If anyone wants some feel free, just please let me know. If no one wants them I will go back out with my saw tomarrow. Again let me know so I don't waste a trip.

It is on North Desert Breeze Blvd (between Rural and McKlintock) a couple hundres yards North of Chandler Blvd on the West side of the street right accross from one of the park entrances.
    Mike Vickery

I won't be able to take advantage of this one. I can't fit the saw and the wood on the bike. I need bigger saddlebags.

Wood gone details later
    Mike Vickery

Are there any trees left in Phoenix anymore? You AZ guys have been finding a lot of free local wood hauls lately.

Sure there are trees....................... We haven't had any big fires this year ---- k have to do it

Knock on wood......

Sorry for the short post earlier. Just got home and did not have any time but wanted to cut off anyone that might see it and jump in the truck with the saw.
    When I went to load up later in the day the two guys that were their did not speak english and I don't speak Spanish. I told them I would be back later for the rest and went back to work. The supervisor called me and said the logs were waiting for me. I told him I had picked up a car load and was going after work to get all we could fit in another car and would be back Sat morning to pick up the rest. Apparently the workers must have thought I got all I wanted when I showed up on site to help Kevin load all traces that their was ever a tree their were gone. Not even a stump left, just a little bit of shaving and some bark marks on the sidewalk.

I tried to get a picture of my loaded car but the batteries in my camera were dead. Kevin can give his estimate but I had six 16 to 20 inch diameter logs crammed into a Saturn SL1. I would guess they weighted all total 800 lbs or more. Yes I was riding low on the way home.

Don - Their are plenty of trees, but I hate that the big pieces were gone most of the stuff I get is under 14 inches. A 26 inch tree is a real treasure around here.
    Mike Vickery

Now is the time of year we go scouting for down trees. With the monsoons blowing through, there is almost always a down somewhere. Ironically, this year we have been having better luck with the non-monsoon related hauls.

Well I'd say that was a decent guesstimate. Mikes Saturn was in the weeds, and not just the back low riding, the whole car was slammed.

We have been doing pretty good with the found wood recently, most of the credit, on my end, goes to Mike. He finds these trees and demo spots real good. I just wish we could find more like this when it cools off about 20 or so degrees.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

One time, I tried calling up the landfill. After some transfers, I gotta a hold of some guy who said I could come down & look through the green waste. When I got there the people there had no idea who this person was. If we ever crack that place, I bet it would be a gold mine.

Martin that would be a goldmine.

Unfortunately I know in the next couple years the construction in my area is going to dry up and we have been very spoiled this year.
    I have sent out over 50 e-mails to arborist in the past year and to date I got one contact in the city that got us a nice haul of mesquite but then he retired. One nibble from a guy that did not work out and access to one tree trimmers log pile (my personal gold mine). Other then that it has all been construction sites, until today. Today's find was just dumb luck but it was probably the easiest haul to date I barely broke a sweat. I threw the guys that loaded it in my car a couple bucks and Kevin and I basically just rolled them out of my car and into our garages.
    Mike Vickery

I called up one tree trimmer and he said that they used to save logs, but it just wasn't profitable to try to sell them and they had a hard time getting rid of them. Therefore they chip everything now.

Try different tree trimmers. Even if they dont want to sell some of them have dumps were they just dump all of the mulch and logs and they might give you permission to go in and take what you want. Plus different places do a little different type of work.
    The guy I talked to on Friday said usually the only big stuff they do is Eucalyptus and pine. I gave him my card anyways just in case but I doubt anything will come out of it. Now if the guy I gave my card to that company clears land for construction that would be the real mother load!
    Mike Vickery