Thread: Help!!!

Help!!!

I'm trying to make a Classic American click pen. Missed a step, but heading back to it. Was supposed to 'trim' wood off the tube. Okay, here's my problem.... They say to measure 1 3/4" on the top that's closest to the tail stock. "Then part off the approximately 1/4" of wood between the mark you made and the bushing" Sounds fine and dandy, but thats NOT approx 1/4", it's closer to 1/2". Have I gotten the wrong tube in this kit?

Thanks! This is only my second pen and I'm lost

I guess basically what I need to know, is that section of exposed tube length critical? Or can it be a tad longer than they're approximating?

Bonnie, my guess would be it's the wrong tube.

I assume you're referring to the "Classic American" kit from Woodcraft (or similar)? It's been a while since I've done one of those but I love the kits.

The kit comes with two lengths of tube. The short tube (and wider) should go on the cap section (top) of the pen. The longer tube would be on the nib end.

You believe you will need about 3/16" to 1/4" of tube exposed from the wood on the cap section to press the center ring on. Any longer and it will extend further into the center ring than it should and keep the two halves from twisting together easily.

If you already have more exposed than that you may still be able to mill off a bit of the exposed tube. Just grind it down to the correct length and see what you get. I wouldn't think the difference in overall pen length would be a problem considering it is such a small adjustment.
    Last edited by Neal Addy; 08-04-2007 at 3:04 PM.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!