Thread: Dust Collection Boom w/ Pictures

Dust Collection Boom w/ Pictures

I just recently completed the installation of a centralized dust collection system in my shop. I faced a couple of challenges in putting it in because:
    (1) my shop is in two-thirds of a three-car garage (i.e. limited space) and
    (2) the 7' x 16' garage door in the open position prevented me one from having permanent drops from ducting over this entire area (I call this “restricted air space”).

So, how does one install an effective, centralized dust collection system in the mobile-tool environment with overhead door obstructions/limitations?

My solution is a swiveling (pivoting)/rotating dust collection boom.

The boom is simply a 6’ long piece of 6” PVC pipe that is mounted to the ceiling in a manner that allows it to rotate 360 degrees in the horizontal plane The boom end can also be raised or lowered to the desired height (it hinges at it's mounting point where two carriage bolts connect it to U-shaped piece of flat iron).

I've included several pictures of the boom below.

Overall, I am very pleased with the boom design and performance. A large area can be covered with a single boom. With the 6’ boom, the reach easily covers a circular area with a diameter of 15-20’. Keep in mind that there is no substitute for a well planned, laid out shop with permanent connections, and blast gates to each tool in terms of convenience. This is the preferred method where space allows and there are otherwise no obstructions. However, when there are limitations due to shop size (thus requiring tool mobility) and/or obstructions such as on overhead garage door (“restricted air space”), the boom is a viable option.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that looks like a good idea I solved that problem by taking out the garage door and building a wall,,,,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evertsen
    that looks like a good idea I solved that problem by taking out the garage door and building a wall,,,,
    I agree and did the same thing. Unfortunately, sometimes one can't do that, either due to neighborhood regulations or the need for one to be able to keep the property ready for re-sale, etc. Of course, one could build a temporary wall that "looks" like a garage door from the outside but has a swinging entryway for access...

But that swinging boom is a great idea for when the overhead door needs to stay in place. I think that Mike should submit the idea to the mags as a "shop tip"...he could be like Laskey and win tools!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim/Mike,

I hear what you're saying. It would simplify things if I could do away with the door, but I can't for a myriad of reasons. That's where I started and then put on my thinking cap.

I think the boom is a "happy medium" for me.

BTW, I did submit the idea as a "shop tip" to one magazine. Here's hoping to join the ranks of Mr. Lasley!

Great creativity

I would submit to various WW magazines, that is one of the best ideas I have seen come across in a long time. There are many folks out there who use garage shops and this is an awesome solution. Great work.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

OK, I admit I did not read all the responses before I posted

my message.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Thanks for sharing. I've worried over this problem too. My garage has an additional barrier in a big support beam running the length of the celing, but I think this idea could be incorporated for that too!
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Scott,

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully others with similar limitations can use the idea.

Mike

Dan,

I hope it will work for you. The good news is that it's easy to try since the materials are pretty cheap.

Mike

Thumbs up

Mike
    A very ingenious solution to your problem.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA