Thread: Maintenance question regarding oil in 1940's Beaver scroll saw

Maintenance question regarding oil in 1940's Beaver scroll saw

Hello,

I have a model 3100 24" Beaver scroll saw from the 40's. In the manual, it states that the oil should be checked and changed periodically in the lower drive case. The actual drive arm of the scoll saw operates in oil bath format. Basically, the lower unit rests in a pool of oil. I was doing a tune up on the saw and I determined that the oil level is a little lower than where it should be (oil level is ok but needs to be topped up). My problem and reason for this post is that the manual from the 40's states to periodically change the oil but does not say what type of oil to use. The oil that's in the bottom unit seems clean and all I want to do is add to it, but I'm not sure what type of oil I should put in.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this? I need something that has good lubricating qualities but with a fairly light viscosity so that it can lubricate well at room temperature. Definitely not a gear oil, I don't think, as it would be too thick. I'm leaning towards something like a 5W20 or 5W30 but a friend of mine has told me to stay away from the "W" oils as they contain detergents which aren't' necessary and they are more geared towards motor oil. How about an SAE 20 or SAE 30? Would they be appropriate? That is what my friend suggested.

And one more thing, the oil that is in there is the typical light golden colour.

Sorry for the long post on a basic topic. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Kevin

Try the OWWM.COM forum. I am sure someone there will know.

Anything made by Beaver in that era is worth looking after.

Basil

I will second Basil on that. I don't know the answer to this. If it has babbitt anywhere in there the detergent is bad on the bearings. I forget exactly but I think it is acidic and but I know will ruin the bearings.

I found Kedall none detergent 20w oil at my auto parts store. Not one of the Wall Marts of autoparts like Auto Zone. Go to one that has grease on the counter and some REAL mechanics sitting in there buying parts. They will know something other than what the computer tells them! Once you find the right oil, they will be more likely to have it.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Kendall 10weight is what I use. This what is recommended in these machines.

This is the venerable Delta 24" under a Canadian nameplate. There's no babbitt, thought there is a brass bushing below the table. You want nondetergent machine oil. Good hardware stores carry it. I use 20W, I'm sure 10 would be fine also.

Over time, these machines can collect sawdust in the crankcase which should be cleaned out periodically. You can cut your own replacement gasket with material from an auto parts store, or use something like Permatex copper form-a-gasket.

Pete