Thread: Grizzly chuck - insert availability?

Grizzly chuck - insert availability?

I have a PM90 with a 1-1/2" by 8 spindle.

The Vicmarc clone by Grizzly (model H7820) seems unique in offering a smaller chuck to fit this spindle.

From Nova, no current chucks will fit the PM90
    From Oneway, only the Stronghold will fit it. This is what I use, but it is bulky for some projects (this is a 12" swing lathe).
    The Vicmarc chuck Grizzly cloned doesn't even have an insert to fit it (though they do offer larger chucks that will).

Does anyone know if Grizzly will sell the insert separately so I can also use this on a 1-1/4 spindle lathe?
    The parts list shows the insert I would want to buy as PH6267003.

I have emailed Grizzly customer service, but I'd like to get this on order and do not know how quick they will answer.

TIA

Craft supply sells spindle adapters so you could use a 1"-8 or other chucks with your lathe. when I upgraded to a Oneway I bought one so I could use all my old chucks.
    Frank

Good point! I do have one of those and it works pretty well, but the engineer/purist in me wants to avoid the added runout from the extra threaded surfaces and the added distance between the spindle and the insert.

Cheers,
    Kurt

If they list a part number, I see no reason why they wouldn't sell it separately. I have some work currently mounted on my smaller version of the same chuck, so I can't verify, but I don't think you'd need a rocket mechanic to do the swap. It's been a while since I've ordered from Grizzly, but I've found their telephone folks quite knowledgeable about the products - not just order-takers. Give 'em a call.

I agree about the adapters. Definitely can't REDUCE runout that way, unless you get very, very lucky (compensating errors); and the extra reach puts more lateral load on the headstock spindle.

Joe

I bought a 1 1/8 insert from them for a three jaw chuck of theirs.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    It's been a while since I've ordered from Grizzly, but I've found their telephone folks quite knowledgeable about the products - not just order-takers. Give 'em a call.

Joe
    Thanks, I'll give them a call Monday!
    I have only ordered a couple of odd router bits from them, and that was about 10 years ago. Good to hear they have people who are not just order processors!

Cheers,
    Kurt

For the archives...

I got a response by noon on Monday from Grizzly.
    They have definitely improved their customer service!

They sell the inserts separately for $12 plus $7.90 shipping.

My understanding of this chuck is that it operates a bit rough compared to the real Vicmarc, but if you disassemble it, clean out any metal chips, and deburr it, it works well.