Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino Questions (lots of them)

Festool Domino Questions (lots of them)

I am considering purchasing a Festool Domino and I have some questions, both technical and stylistic for those of you using the system.

First the technical questions...

1) How hard is it to hook up or a regular shopvac?

2) Are the Festool vac's really worth $300+? Festool mini vs. CT22 vs. Ct33? Which vac is best if you intend to use the guided circular saw system and sanders?

3) Do you have to use a vacuum with it, or will it just spew the chips out anywhere?

Now the stylistic/strength questions

4) Are two dominos in place of a regular M&T of similar strength?

5) I currently have a hollow chisel mortiser and a tennon jig. Do you have any use for your tennon jig and hollow chisel mortiser? One of my attractions to the domino is that it would take the place of my hollow chisel mortiser and tennon jig and in the case of the mortiser would save a LOT of storage space for a tool I don't use very frequently. I'm on the fence about getting rid of the tennon jig, but would love to get rid of the mortiser if the domino is better.

6) Was the domino worth $700 + $240 for the starter kit for being very specialized

7) if you use the domino like a biscuit joiner and just make a center line, is there enough of side to side play to deal with subtle misalignments of the mortise?

Thanks for any insight you might have as this is a huge investment and it is too expensive to make a mistake for my budget. Also I am not looking for a flame war on festool/domino/etc. I'm just looking for some info for making a purchase decision.

Here are my answers, hopefully helpful.
    1) Not hard, but you will want a Festool hose as it has a special end to connect to their tools. I think there is an adaptor to fit standard shop vacs.

2) The Festool vacs are nice. They are reasonably quiet, they start when the tool is turned on and stop when the tool is stopped, and they have HEPA filtration. Here is a drastic example of why filtration is important. We had a kitchen counter top that was tiled and the grout was in bad shape. I planned to surprise my wife with redoing it when she left for most of a Saturday. Knowing she is clean freak I brought the shop vac in and vacuumed as I went keeping things very clean. When my wife arrived home at the end of the day (sadly I was only 50% done), she sceaamed "what in the *#($*& happened here". I looked up after nearly 8 hours of continuous work to find a very fine layer of white grout dust over everything in the house. Apparently fine grout dust is finer than what Sears shop vac filters can filter. I have a higher end vac like the Festool that is more powerful and more quiet. Sears type vacs are around 90db, the Festool 72db, and mine is 56db. Another good choice is a Fein vac at 59db. Mine is an Alto at around $700. The filtration, autostart, and quiet are REALLY nice. Also, the hose will run around $80, but you get one with the Festool vac.

3) Don't have to vacuum any more than with a biscuit jointer. I'd use a shop vac before nothing.

4) 3 Dominos are plenty strong. Frankly, for most everything biscuits or dowels are plenty strong. I never use anything but a but joint when gluing up panels and table tops and in 30 years I've never had a failure. Dominos are stronger than biscuits, will fit where biscuits won't, but the Domino is slower than a biscuit jointer.

5) I've had a drill press attachment and a set of Swiss chisels for the mortiser for over 10 years and never used it. I used biscuits. I bought a Powermatic mortiser on a screaming AMAZON deal for around $200 delivered and received it a week before I won a Domino. I haven't even set up the Powermatic mortiser. I will be selling it.

6) Hard to say. I won mine from Festool. I really like it, but as a hobbiest is a luxury item.

7) The Domino has three width settings for the tenons. Tight, a little slop, and more slop. Not a problem.

2) Yes they are worth the money. I have the mid size and think its the best capacity vs weight of the three. The festool vacs have tool start option and variable speed which is a must for sanding. They also have hepa filter and great features such as the filter cleaner and sysatiner mount.

3) You do not have to use the vac but you will get better cuts and no mess with the vac.

4) That would depend on the size of the tenon. I have used the largest dominos to miter 2 x12 stock and did not feel the need to double up.

5) Short of doing very large M and T work (entry doors, etc..) the Domino can handle all loose tenon joints quickly and is deadly accurate.

6) The best money I have spent in a long time. I was at my local dealer the first day they came out and was smiling for the whole week while playing with it.

7) I like to use the tightest setting for all joints but you can increase the slop on non aligning mortises

Go buy the Domino and the vac and try it for a week or so. Festool will take it back no questions asked if you want to return it before 30 days. You are taking no risk at all. I can bet you will be keeping it. I think the Domino is the one tool I own that saves me a ton of time every time I pick it up. In the time it takes to change a router bit I can have a nice joint made with the Domino.

Dan

First, I don't own any Festool products. My comment is on the price of the vacuum. If you look at most high end vacuums for your house your will see that the Festool vacuum isn't over priced. My wife anf I have found out the hard way (by buying cheap vacuums) that this is a place where you get what you pay for. If I had the cash today to buy some Festool equipment, I'd certainly get one of their "packages" that includes the vacuum. They are a "good deal."
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I remember reading that a vacuum must be attached to the domino in order for it to work properly. And yes the vacuums are the best.
    I have three of them

This tool seemingly is marketed to those where time is money, or the financially endowed hobbyist.

Not your average hobbyist grade tool and priced accordingly.

Gary K.

I once hooked my Festool vac (CT22) to a floor sander that already had an on-board vacuum that wasn't cutting it.

Zero dust!!

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Olson View Post
    I am considering purchasing a Festool Domino and I have some questions, both technical and stylistic for those of you using the system.

First the technical questions...

1) How hard is it to hook up or a regular shopvac?

2) Are the Festool vac's really worth $300+? Festool mini vs. CT22 vs. Ct33? Which vac is best if you intend to use the guided circular saw system and sanders?

3) Do you have to use a vacuum with it, or will it just spew the chips out anywhere?

Now the stylistic/strength questions

4) Are two dominos in place of a regular M&T of similar strength?

5) I currently have a hollow chisel mortiser and a tennon jig. Do you have any use for your tennon jig and hollow chisel mortiser? One of my attractions to the domino is that it would take the place of my hollow chisel mortiser and tennon jig and in the case of the mortiser would save a LOT of storage space for a tool I don't use very frequently. I'm on the fence about getting rid of the tennon jig, but would love to get rid of the mortiser if the domino is better.

6) Was the domino worth $700 + $240 for the starter kit for being very specialized

7) if you use the domino like a biscuit joiner and just make a center line, is there enough of side to side play to deal with subtle misalignments of the mortise?

Thanks for any insight you might have as this is a huge investment and it is too expensive to make a mistake for my budget. Also I am not looking for a flame war on festool/domino/etc. I'm just looking for some info for making a purchase decision.

I too thought Festool products were pricey but aftyer using a CT22 for about a year I have to say, unbeilevable!! I would not be without it and as money permits I will start to by more Festool equipment if its half as good as this vacum it is worth it.

I don't have the Domino, but I do have a sander and a vac. Absolutely no regrets. I've even sanded drywall with virtually no dust.

Brad, I purchased the domino when it was relased and it has changed the way I do all my joints in my shop. I have not done any DTs since the purchase and I can assemble carcasses, drawers, cab doors, face frames and all the furniture I have done.

I have both the CT22 and the Midi and I could not be happier with their performance. I know the bage get a bit costly when you can fill them quickly depending on how much work you do. So when the bags fill I take them out of the vac and let my DC suck the bag clean and reuse the bag. I have donw this maybe 10 times on the CT bag and it still works perfect. Also these bags pack that dust in there so tight its crazy. I would say the only tool I may see a little bit of dust on the floor is with the jigsaw.

I had to do some adjustments to the domino when it arrived on the pin and the sight gauge but it works perfect now.

I would say that in just time the tool has paid for itself and my poor biscuit jointers since all by themselves on the upper shelf in my shop.

I am not one of those brand name kind of guys. I find the best tool for the job I am doing and if can make my jobs go faster with better results then I make the purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I don't have the Domino, but I do have a sander and a vac. Absolutely no regrets. I've even sanded drywall with virtually no dust.
    I too, have a Festool sander and vac. plus I have their cordless drill. I got delusional one nite and actually thought of ordering one but then realized that I'm not prolific enough to really justify one.
    If I had a big job (not going to happen--I'm a hobbyist) then I would think about it because in the long run it might pay for itself. But realistically, it would sit idle collecting dust most of the time.
    Gary K.

Now, Gary. I've got my eye on you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Childress; 08-05-2007 at 3:25 PM.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress View Post
    Now, Gary. I've got my eye on you.
    Bob...Your too funny!!!

Gary K.

14. 1/ 2/ 3/ I would recommend to use a shop vac. There is an adpater available to hook it up to a standard one but if you can afford the CT 22 or 33 it is definitively a very good unit.

4/ Dominos are very strong. You generally can put more than one if needed.

5/ The size of the mortise and tenon are limited with the domino so you might still find some usage for them.

6/ I am just a hobbyist but in my case it did change my method of construction and let me build stuff faster and with less erros. I am using the domino for carcasse joinery, face frame and door construction. (I sold my biscuit jointer). For me it was one of the best investment.

7/ You have a setting on the domino that let you choose how much play to allow.

BTW, a festool hose will probably fit a standard shop vac. I haven't tried it, but I know that my standard shop vac hose fits my festool vac. The Festool hoses are pretty nice.