Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressor.......help me out here...

Question Air Compressor.......help me out here...

OK....I have an 11 year old Sears Craftsman 5HP 15Gal compressor. It is blowing oil on the outside of the tube going down to the tank, oil is on the outside of the tank and there is oil (milky white) in the condensation that I drain from the tank. It still works.....and I see evidence of rust in the water drained from the tank. I use the compressor quiet a bit and especially when I am spraying finishes and cleaning tools, and cleaning the shop. The new HD (opened today) has two "Husky" compressors that I have considered.

1. Single Stage 7HP 60 Gal vertical tank, duty rating of 5,000 hours.
    2. Two Stage 7 HP 80 Gal vertical tank, duty rating of 10,000 hours.

Item #1 is $400

Item #2 is $800

Both have a 10% off.....

My real question? Is my old Craftsman becoming a safety concern, wearing out and if so, is two stage the way to go. I only want to have to buy ONE more time.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    OK....I have an 11 year old Sears Craftsman 5HP 15Gal compressor. It is blowing oil on the outside of the tube going down to the tank, oil is on the outside of the tank and there is oil (milky white) in the condensation that I drain from the tank. It still works.....and I see evidence of rust in the water drained from the tank. I use the compressor quiet a bit and especially when I am spraying finishes and cleaning tools, and cleaning the shop. The new HD (opened today) has two "Husky" compressors that I have considered.
    I also want to know if I can get by with the "limping comressor" until my finances improve a little.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Talking

Dennis, I know that money is burning a hole in your pocket and you really want a new one buttt ...... you can try tightening up the connections. You can rebuild the compressor very much like an engine block, new rings and seals. Craftsman may have a rebuild kit or one of the local compressor shops. If the tank and motor are good. Just the lungs can be replaced. And if you gotta buy new .... bigger is better but I'd go to a pro and leave big box store alone for high priced tools. my $.40 worth.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Dennis, I know that money is burning a hole in your pocket and you really want a new one buttt ...... you can try tightening up the connections. You can rebuild the compressor very much like an engine block, new rings and seals. Craftsman may have a rebuild kit or one of the local compressor shops. If the tank and motor are good. Just the lungs can be replaced. And if you gotta buy new .... bigger is better but I'd go to a pro and leave big box store alone for high priced tools. my $.40 worth.
    Tyler,

I have no money.....this would have to be purchased on CREDIT and then paid off. Motor is still good. All connections have been tightened several times......Just not sure if the compressor and tank repairs/replacement wouldn't about equal the price of the #1 option of the single stage and just go all new with a 3 year warranty. Plus, I don't want this thing "exploding" on me or my family. Safety is a primary concern. I can always replace a compressor, but not a family member.
    Dennis -

Oh yea.....I have checked the "Pro" shops and the cheapest two stage compressor is $1400.00....out of my price range right now....unless the companies stock price REALLY improves.....a LOT.....
    Dennis -

There are two types of compressors

and they are Ingersoll Rand, and others.

Dennis, this last summer I bought the 5 HP, 60 gal. vertical, V-2 two stage IR compressor from Northern Tool. IR has a free shipping offer from their factory. Northern Tool is just the middle man. The compressor was delivered by Fed-X truck cargo on a tailgate lift truck. It weighs about 400#, and the driver used his pallet truck to move it for me.

I figure it is the last compressor I will need to buy.

And, it is delivered to your door for $999.99.

You can take a look at it atIR compressor

BTW, the motor does say 5 hp. on it, and IR recommends a 40 amp circuit, but mine runs just fine on a 30 amp. I run mine at about 150 psi, but if you maxed out the rating to 175 psi, you might need the 40 amp circuit. I haven't popped a breaker in 6 months....

One heck of a machine
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 01-22-2004 at 1:44 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Dennis,
    If the motor and tank are still good, there are several online sellers that just sell new cylinder assemblies. I think that even the farm supply stores like Fleet Farm in my area carry single or twin cylinder assemblies that bolt down and have a pulley for driving with your own motor.

Dean

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Safety First Dennis,

120 PSI is nothing to sneeze at but it is not a system that sends tanks flying through brick walls (like dive tanks or O2. I've seen that happen).
    I'd say you are ok till you can do the right thing.
    "You too can own a $1400 compressor buying an $800.00 dollar one on credit"
    Check for cracks in the cylinder, if so, start shopping.
    Keep the kids out of the shop when it is in use.
    Let the pressure bleed off when not in use.
    Change the oil and see if there is any metal in pan.
    Keep some distance between you and the unit.
    Drain your tank often especially in hot humid climates.
    Are you operating at the right pressure? I've been known to bump the pressure switch to get a few more CFM.
    Even I was able to rebuild my old Craftsman and I'm in management.
    Only had to rent a ring compressor for $3.00. That was 12 years ago. It's still my main garage unit for tires air tools etc. Have a light weight Bosch for nail guns in the shop.
    Good luck

TJH

If there is frothy oil in you tank it is very likely in your line too and you need a good separator or it will get in your finishes
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 01-22-2004 at 2:53 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Dennis,

The first questin to ask yourself is if you've survived THIS long on such a small tank, do you really need to go bigger? Most likely, the answer is an emphatic, "Yes!"

If "no..." then take some of the advise here and attempt to fix it yourself.

I bought a Sears "professional" (the black ones, not red ones) 25 gal (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916778000) compressor. I got a deal from Sears (they always have deals) where I got it basically interest free for 1 year. So, I haven't paid for it yet although it is due in April this year! Basically, it has been free for a year! They have a 60 gal equivalent, 7 HP.

I even mounted this sucker up in my rafters in the garage. I am semi-lucky in my garage in that half of it is a vaulted ceiling...lots of storage space up there!

Usually, the most important thing to figure out for an air compressor is how you use the air and at what PSI you need.

Do you find your motor running A LOT when you use your compressor? If so, then you want a larger storage tank for air...not necessarily a big motor.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You should be able to hone the cyl and re ring for 20 to 30 bucks and get several more years

ace

<Do you find your motor running A LOT when you use your compressor? If so, then you want a larger storage tank for air...not necessarily a big motor.>

Chris,

When I am spraying or using air tools the motor runs almost 100% non-stop. I know that a 60 gal tank would help this, but an 80 should lengthen the time between compressor runs. HVLP conversion guns are air volume thirsty rascals and at times my little compressor runs so much that LOML complains about the "somethings burning" smell provided by the long running compressor.
    Dennis -

Thumbs up

Dennis,

I'm happy to give you the answer you want:

You NEED the big two-stage.

Your welcome,

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    Dennis,

I'm happy to give you the answer you want:

You NEED the big two-stage.

Your welcome,

Jay
    Thanks Jay..!!!!! I knew someone would come through..!!

I don't "need" a new compressor as the one I have still works (at least the last time I checked it....it still worked). Safety for my kids and LOML is my primary concern and safety for me is what LOML is concerned about. My secondary concern is that my compressor would go out right in the middle of spray finishing a fine piece of furniture. But I guess that could happen to a new compressor as well.
    Dennis -

Dennis,

I actually just bought a 60 gal CH at Lowes in December (just before the 20% off power tools sale ). I used a 10% moving cupon and got the thing for around $350. They claim 7HP for it, but it pulls the same amps as my 3HP unisaw.
    So far, I've only used it to shoot nails and run an impact wrench. Can't really comment on how much better it would be for you spraying.

BTW, I've used the safety excuse to get all kinds of cool stuff for the shop. It's one of my favorites

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Just in case you weren't aware. Home Depot is running a 6 month interest free on any purchase over $299 if you put on it their credit card. That's how my new compressor followed me home

Wendell