Thread: raised panels and dovetail question

raised panels and dovetail question

I am in the process of making a cradle for my second grandchild. I was supposed to make one for my first but didn't make it in time..now I'm under the gun and I HAVE to complete the project by middle of September.

Anyway, after reviewing a few of the designs on this site and others I decided I want to make the cradle using raised panels for the sides and solid wood glue ups for both ends. I'd like to dovetail the carcass together but I've never seen dovetail joints used on anything else but end grain. Can I join, with dovetails, a raised panel style with either another raised panel or solid wood glue up as long as the grain direction is the same?

Any suggestions will be appreciated,

Steve

I am going to be guessing here. I think the cuts made on the long grain are going to be your weak point. Also keep in mind that what you are thinking on doing seems to conflict with one of the concepts of the joint itself, expand and contract both panels together. You are going to prevent that harmonius movement and I see a problem sooner than later.
    On the othe hand it does not seem like common practice, who knows why. Call it functional or structural. I can't imagine the looks of frame and panels on the sides and solid front and back, I think even if you do it it will look weird.
    Good luck

Alex'

You could be right about raised panels for sides and solid wood for ends looking wierd.

Ok, let's say I used raised panels for all four sides, how would you join them together?

Steve,
    Why raised panels?
    This is a simple five panel construction with mortise and tenon joints.
    Use wedged tenons and take it apart between infants, easier to store and no worries about cracking due to cross grain construction ( the prime reason for frame and panel )
    I believe a recent issue of wood magazine has a plan, including a storage box.

However, if you are set on frame and panel construction, make the corners out of square stock with the panel set into sides 90 degrees to each other. Although you may be getting into some interesting angles other than 90 depending on design. Check out the case construction on Arts & Crafts style sideboards for ideas.

Good Luck! and post some photos when done.
    Mike

I think they will snap off.
    you'll get a stronger joint if you simply rebate it, biscuit it, domino it, or dowel it or even just glue the side grain to the side rain.

The reason I wanted to use frame and panel construction is that I just recently bought quite a few bdft of lumber for next to nothing. While the price was right the lumber is ungraded.. lots of knots and is hard to find clear boards longer than 30".

It seems that the concensus is not to use frame and panel construction for this project. I'll have to find another route. Thanks to everyone for their comments.