Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I HATE Summer!!!

I HATE Summer!!!

Curses!

It's 99* outside right now. Heat index 105*. Last night I couldn't even finish turning a bowl and tonight ain't looking so great either. I don't know how you boys further south are even breathing. Grrrrr......

I need to move north. Snow I can deal with. Ice I can tolerate. But heat just drives me insane!

So, here's a rerun of a song I "spun" a little over a year ago.

I am SOOOOOO ready for fall.............

I hear you! A hundred and something--who cares? Can't stay in the shop more than 15 minutes.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

The heat index is "only" 96 here. I've got to head out to cut the lawn. 2+ hours in the hot sun on the tractor. Fun.

97 here with a heat index of 110. At least it is better than yesterday when we had a heat index of 115. Tomorrow? More of the same. School started back on Monday and we actually have football players practicing in this heat, which I think is insanity. Our stone shop is not air conditioned, and is a metal building. We start at 7 and for the past three days we decided to send the guys home for the day at noon, with pay. Not profitable for us, but beats the heck out of a work comp heat stroke incident.

I was discussing with a friend this a.m. the phrase "bear caught". Neither of us has any idea where this originated, but here in the deep South it means falling victim to heat exhaustion, or a heat stroke. Any of you other Southerners familiar with this phrase?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I will not complain...

I really do hate the heat! I do remember the fact that we still have snow sometimes in May. We installed a little air conditioner and it has been fantastic. Just enough to take the humidity out so I can work all day and when my husband comes home from work he can work in a cool place (yes he says he works harder for me)!!

I wish fall would last longer in our area! Snow only the month of December, and spring could arrive.

Phyllis

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Meyer View Post
    We installed a little air conditioner and it has been fantastic. Just enough to take the humidity out so I can work all day and when my husband comes home from work he can work in a cool place (yes he says he works harder for me)!!

Phyllis
    LOL! Phyllis, I wouldn't trade with you, but I did get a chuckle from your comment. I turn on the AC in April and don't turn it off until sometimes November. We will hit a lot of 80 tonight (in the early morning hours). The heat index at 6 a.m. was 91 today. Makeup application and defrizzing of hair are a total waste of time!

My parents live about two hours inland and right now they have a heat index of 118!
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 08-08-2007 at 3:45 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    The heat index at 6 a.m. was 91 today....

My parents live about two hours inland and right now they have a heat index of 118!
    Yep.....dunno how you deal with it. LOML and I did our honeymoon in Savannah 9 yrs ago and it was a wonderful place to visit. BUT.....it was November, not August. Big difference!

Doesn't sound like you guys are much cooler Mark. I don't know about you but much over 97 and I really can't tell a difference. Glad you liked Savannah, you should come back for your next anniversary! At least you all get that beautiful Fall weather. I've never visited Virginia so maybe this will be the year.

Bella Terra

I know what your saying. I just loaded about 1500 Feet of lumber I think it's about 95 here. At least it feels like it. And its NOT a dry heat.

Its been 94 days or so since the last time i skied

It's 103 here in beautiful Gloucester County, Virginia with a heat index of 115.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I was discussing with a friend this a.m. the phrase "bear caught". Neither of us has any idea where this originated, but here in the deep South it means falling victim to heat exhaustion, or a heat stroke. Any of you other Southerners familiar with this phrase?
    Never heard that one, Belinda, and I'm a Southerner by birth and the grace of God - just a little bit relocated to the Southwest.

It's hot here in the Rio Grande Valley too, but not uncomfortable unless you get into a car that has been closed and sitting in the sun. The current temp, as I write this, is 83*, it's partly cloudy, winds Southeast at 9 MPH, humidity is 31%, dewpoint is 50, heat index is 81*. Barometer is falling and humidity is increasing as the clouds start to roll in for yet another rainstorm this evening. Our overnight temp will be down around 65.

I keep telling people to move to the Southwest; one doesn't "melt" out here. And yes, we do have seasons!!!!

Nancy (135 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Outten View Post
    It's 103 here in beautiful Gloucester County, Virginia with a heat index of 115.
    Which is one of the main reasons why we skedaddled out of Virginia when we got the opportunity!!!! Humidity is my enemy--I just can't breathe in that muck.

Nancy (135 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I'm a Southerner by birth and the grace of God - just a little bit relocated to the Southwest.
    Nancy (135 days)
    You need to schedule a visit back to the Southeast on October 6th for the GA/Tennessee game. GOOOOO DAWGS!

Bella Terra

You could move here. It's currently 72 with partly cloudy skies, slight breeze.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green