Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I HATE Summer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    You need to schedule a visit back to the Southeast on October 6th for the GA/Tennessee game. GOOOOO DAWGS!
    Now, Belinda, now you've really hit a nerve. "Go Dawgs" my butt.
    GO, VOLS!!!!!!

Be careful, or I'll have to punish you like I did my former boss here, who is a Gators fan. I sent him a green plant, with some orange and white carnations poked into the soil and a huge orange and white Tennessee banner!! (He lost a bet). I told him that he must have it displayed in his office for one full year--he would have done the same to me with a Gator banner. He wasn't expecting what I sent, especially since I waited about two months before doing anything (had to get the banner from my sister!!), and he was really surprised and chagrined to have to display the orange and white in his office. We've laughed about it, but he won't make any more bets with me related to Vols-Gators.

Nancy (135 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    You could move here. It's currently 72 with partly cloudy skies, slight breeze.
    No thanks, Joe, I spent an eternity one summer living with my former in-laws in Longview, and found out first-hand why they call it the "Great NorthWET." I thought I was going to have to grow gills or webbed feet!

Nancy (135 days)
    Nancy Laird

"""""""
    I need to move north. Snow I can deal with. Ice I can tolerate. But heat just drives me insane!
    """""""""

Ah....average temp here is in the 40's, I'd be careful how far north ya move, minus zero temps and windchill temps of -45 ain't any more fun than 100+ temps...
    And then there's the snow...first couple of inches is pretty, next couple of feet starts to get annoying, after that I can't repeat what it is on this forum...

Al...who's looking for a happy medium
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

102 here today.
    Georgia has a football team?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Imagine how the two young men toiling away in the big hole behind my house making foundation footing forms feel this week...high 90s and humid as the bayou. Lucky me...I'm somewhere where it's in the mid 70s at the moment...hee hee
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A cold front is supposed to move through here tomorrow night. Hopefully it is headed your way for the weekend Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I sent him a green plant, with some orange and white carnations poked into the soil and a huge orange and white Tennessee banner!! (He lost a bet). I told him that he must have it displayed in his office for one full year. Nancy (135 days)

You're on Nancy, loser has to post pics of "gift" received and agrees to display it for a full year. Sound okay? (I'm a Vols fan except when they play Georgia, but don't tell anyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robison View Post
    102 here today.
    Georgia has a football team?
    Yes Brian, there is a Santa Claus, and he gave Georgia the Dawgs! Just a little bitty team, but they can beat the Vols.

Sorry, Mark. Didn't mean to go so off track. The heat just does that to me.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

It is rough now down south. I just returned from central Africa where I usually get hit pretty hard with the heat but it was pleasant compared to Atlanta. Be careful if you are working outside or in a hot shop as heat related illness can sneak up on you pretty quickly.
    Ben

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    You're on Nancy, loser has to post pics of "gift" received and agrees to display it for a full year. Sound okay? (I'm a Vols fan except when they play Georgia, but don't tell anyone.)

Yes Brian, there is a Santa Claus, and he gave Georgia the Dawgs! Just a little bitty team, but they can beat the Vols.
    You're on, Belinda, and we have over 19,000 members here who are witness to this bet.

Awfully confident, aren't you?????

Seriously, for anyone who is working outside in the horrible heat, a word of advice, as was given to us in Las Vegas--DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!!! Lots and lots and lots of water.

Nancy (135 days)
    Nancy Laird

90 in the shop
    85 in the finish room
    97 outside
    54% humidity
    110+ on the west side of the shop against the building. Thats where my outside thermometer bulb is.

74 in the house , which I don't go in till around 9:00

Brenda,
    I worked in the wood of southeast Georgia for 21 years. " Bear caught" is a common expression in the forestry business. I have work else where and no one was familar with it. I think it is a southeast GA thing.
    And I agree GO DAWGS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Terrell View Post
    Brenda,
    I worked in the wood of southeast Georgia for 21 years. " Bear caught" is a common expression in the forestry business. I have work else where and no one was familar with it. I think it is a southeast GA thing.
    And I agree GO DAWGS!!!!!
    Stan,

My daddy worked in forestry, and the friend I was talking to this a.m. worked for the DNR and has been a "woodsman" all of his life. I believe you are correct that it is a southeast GA thing. In what part of GA did you work? Thanks for that Dawg support, looks like I'm in the minority so far!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I was just reading my hometown newspaper on-line and this article was in it. Rain, we need rain!!!

http://www.ucmessenger.com/289542026744069.bsp

Nancy (135 days)
    Nancy Laird

Brenda,
    I was based in Brunswick. We owned 600,000 acres bounded by I-75,
    I-16, I-10 and the Atlantic. I worked all over that large area. I was an industrial forester.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    No thanks, Joe, I spent an eternity one summer living with my former in-laws in Longview, and found out first-hand why they call it the "Great NorthWET." I thought I was going to have to grow gills or webbed feet!

Nancy (135 days)
    That's unusual, even down in Longview, normally July and August are dry but not over 85 or so. The rest of the year, yes, you might grow webbed feet. Unless you are up by my parents in the Sequim area, 10" of rain in the Olympic Mountain rainshadow, compared to our 40+.It's becoming a favored retirement community, growing 20% a year but still under 6,000 population.

Oops, I gave a way a secret!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green