Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I HATE Summer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress View Post
    I hear you! A hundred and something--who cares? Can't stay in the shop more than 15 minutes.
    Ohhh boo hoo Sook... I think we will have to take the "Honorary" title back of you if you carnt handle a few warm days

2. Hey Mark Pruitt, the heat index here in Arkyville was somewhere around 110 today... but it was 74 inside my shop... I nearly froze to death... I got two words for ya......................AIR CONDITIONER.........

Blog Entries
    I could have sworn that I was in the Sawmill forum... you know wood, tools and grunts. For some reason I think I got bounced into the Farmers Grange Hall meeting. You know, because of all the griping about the weather.

I use to think the farmers were the worst complainers about weather... now I'm not sure... Can some one do a poll for this? Yes it is hot, it is suppose to at this time of year. It'll get cool, then really raunchy cold. Then spring will sweep us away because of all the mud... then we turn back to this weather again.

The only person I'm feeling a bit bad for is a young girl in our church who is 8 months pregnant and they only have a window air conditioner. As soon as the belly button pops out, we know she's ready for delivery... and this heat his really trying push that baby out quick!
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    A cold front is supposed to move through here tomorrow night. Hopefully it is headed your way for the weekend Jim.
    Yes, I see that from the news. But it's already lovely here in Munich...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gee whiz.....I really hit a nerve....this thread really took off!

Another "dog day" today and again tomorrow. When the forecaster talks about "cooling down to 88 on Saturday" something is very, very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    Hey Mark, I have your solution right here. LOML and I want to move down to NC within the next year or two. You can buy my place in New Hampshire! If you want cold, we get plenty (almost) every winter.
    If there was a job opportunity for me there, I'd be knocking on your door right now! "An A-Frame in the woods" has been a dream of ours for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren View Post
    Hey Mark Pruitt, the heat index here in Arkyville was somewhere around 110 today... but it was 74 inside my shop... I nearly froze to death... I got two words for ya......................AIR CONDITIONER.........
    !!! ()
    My shop is the garage of our house and has the benefit of being integrated into the house design, so it's "somewhat A/C'd" but when it's this hot outside that is of almost no help at all. If I had my way, I'd punch a hole in the wall and install a window unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    I could have sworn that I was in the Sawmill forum... you know wood, tools and grunts. For some reason I think I got bounced into the Farmers Grange Hall meeting. You know, because of all the griping about the weather.
    Jon, actually you're in the "off-topic" forum where "griping about the weather" is fair game.

Whiners and wimps!

I've been living in a house with NO a/c for 15 years. The humidity builds up and the inside of the house feels worse then the outside. I was going to put in a window unit, and my helper had to go in for emergency surgery (can't lift it myself), so I am just waiting till next year (once we are through August it's normally fine).

Wimpy I am! Heat index just hit 116, and is likely to hit 120 here just a few miles inland from the coast. We passed hot about 10:00 this a.m. Thank heaven for tank tops and shorts, and crushed ice!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

sitting here chuckling

I read this thread yesterday, then went home, checked the thermometer in the shade... 98.7. Ok, that's pretty warm. No wonder it felt hot on the motorcycle, with black helmet, in traffic, on hot Houston pavement...

So, I go in and sit down to take off the boots, and I click on the news. Weatherdude Dr. Neil doesn't even bother giving the actual humidity number... His words - "air is very close to saturation". Ha! that sounds about right! I suppose numbers don't mean much when you cross certain thresholds and it all feels the same

It actually works for me though. I can sit on the back patio, sweat like crazy, look like I just ran 50 miles, and not actually do a thing. Gives me the illusion of a good workout

Stay cool y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Whiners and wimps!

I've been living in a house with NO a/c for 15 years. The humidity builds up and the inside of the house feels worse then the outside. I was going to put in a window unit, and my helper had to go in for emergency surgery (can't lift it myself), so I am just waiting till next year (once we are through August it's normally fine).
    You're reminding me of my Dad. He worked for decades in the auto repair business with no air conditioning. I worked for him for 6 years; I vividly recall one day when it was so doggone HOT that I prayed desparately for just so much as a breeze, it was so stifling. That was the day that I swore to never, ever complain about cold weather in winter. My favorite thing to say to people who think winter is worse: "You can always wear an extra coat, but you cannot wear an air conditioner." Shuts 'em up every time.

And my Dad.....over a decade into retirement, he still has this ultra high tolerance for heat. He'll play 18 holes on a summer day, then go home and cut grass. I'm living proof that heat tolerance is not genetically transferrable....

103 here right now but we're on a break from the monsoons and the humidity is 14%. We're good for another couple degrees before the day's over. Until 110 its only warm here. I enjoy the AC but my Harley didn't come with it so I also get to enjoy the extra hot highways with an aircooled engine. As long as we're moving its fine but that long stop light at the end of the off-ramp can get the inner thighs medium rare.

It's 93* here at 17% humidity - looks like no rain tonight.

Mark, your anecdote about your dad reminded me of my own dad. He worked for decades in the auto parts business in stores with no AC and ineffective fans, then would come home and work in the garden until dark. Now that he's 87 years old and has bad circulation, he stays cold all the time and relishes going outside and sitting in the 90 degree/98 humidity atmosphere. He's driving my mother crazy with wearing long-sleeved flannel shirts and sweaters in the house in mid-August and turning off the AC when he gets "chilly."

Nancy (134 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Well 103-105 according to the banks. Humidity about 30%. Don't know heat index, or if there is one for that little humidity. But heck if it is 105 it feels 105!! Just wish I was in Phoenix. It ain't hot unless your tongue is sweatin'!!! I think that is at 120.

I remeber being in Phoenix in August of 1997, it got to 127!!! We were playing tennis! Maybe that's what's wrong with me??
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Still a nice comfortable 72 and partly coudy with sun for a while today here.
    The forecast is for 73-74 and sunny all weekend.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Fine, y'all just rub it in! It is 7:15 and the temp is 90, feels like 112 with 77% humidity. Do you people know what it feels like to sweat in a shower?

Tomorrow is going to be even more fun, but we are in for a "break" when it drops down to 95 on Sunday. Yes, there are folks who have it worse than me, but they're not here right now, so it's my world.

Wish I could tolerate the lovely cold. However, due to a circulation problem, after I open the freezer compartment door at Kroger I can't feel my fingers. When it drops below oh, say, 45, I can't feel my hands or my feet. I close the car door on my foot a lot in winter. Folks think I'm just clumsy (which is true also), but I really have no awareness of that foot to body thing! Guess I'm stuck here. Could be worse, I hear it is hotter under ground!
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 08-10-2007 at 8:29 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Hey Mark. C'mon up. 63° with a brisk breeze. Mmmm! Sure hope winter comes soon.
    Only the Blue Roads