Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I HATE Summer!!!

anybody want to work in a greenhouse with temps at 105, humidity at 95 in full sun under clear poly?

Now that's HOT

I once had a brother in law that worked on a highway crew laying blacktop in Sacramento during the Summer. Now that is "HOT"!
    So far this week my area of Michigan has been protected by that high pressure that is causing all of the heat South of us. Guess it is going to move and include us in the heat wave for a few days.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Baldwin View Post
    I enjoy the AC but my Harley didn't come with it so I also get to enjoy the extra hot highways with an aircooled engine. As long as we're moving its fine but that long stop light at the end of the off-ramp can get the inner thighs medium rare.
    Bingo
    Like sittin' on a gas grill
    I often wonder how the air cooled twin can take it. I've thought about swapping my dipstick with a built in thermometer style, but I'm afraid to know the answer, what I don't know can't hurt me, right

Heat Index?

Yesterday I was watching Fox News,and they were talking about the "HEAT INDEX", Just what is a HEAT INDEX? Out here in Ca. Carrisa Plains our average heat during the day has been 115 degrees. Our heat index is IF YOU PICK UP A HOE,SHOVEL or RAKE and the handle is HOT , you have reached the Max.heat index, but just what is "The Heat Index" down South, I just do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Rose
    Just what is a HEAT INDEX?
    Heat Index:
    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/index.shtml
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-11-2007 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    anybody want to work in a greenhouse with temps at 105, humidity at 95 in full sun under clear poly?

Now that's HOT
    Did that for a while in my early 20's. Don't think the fried brain cells were ever replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Rose View Post
    Our heat index is IF YOU PICK UP A HOE,SHOVEL or RAKE and the handle is HOT , you have reached the Max.heat index, but just what is "The Heat Index" down South, I just do not know.
    Your heat index works here in the South as well.

Lots of folks here will argue that there is no such thing as a "heat index", the temp is what it is, but humidity does play a big role in how hot it feels. Currently it is 88 with 74% humidity, which feels like 103. If you go to the NOAA site our temp/humidity combo for this afternoon isn't even shown on the graph. With 74% humidity sweat doesn't evaporate. There just isn't anywhere for the water to go. No evaporation, no cooling. No cooling, more sweating. More sweating, dehydration. Dehydration, "bear caught" (heat exhaustion/heat stroke).

With the exception of very professional businesses and offices, shorts and tank tops are considered completely appropriate work attire here, you can't stand it otherwise. Many welders and constructon workers change over to night shift. We actually pave roads here in the winter (mostly).

If you want to experience the weather first hand, come on over, we'll be glad to have you!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    With the exception of very professional businesses and offices, shorts and tank tops are considered completely appropriate work attire here, you can't stand it otherwise.
    I was approached just yesterday by one of the ladies in our library who asked me, "Why do you wear a [sport]coat on a day like today? A tie I can understand, but why a coat and tie?" I just laughed, said "good question!" and told her that the coat comes off the minute I leave the building and sits in the car seat on the way home.

I still remember when I was just getting started doing the work I do. My supervisor made some statement about how she was just sure that men resented having to wear a coat and tie. That was right after I had left working for my Dad and enduring the heat I was referring to in my post yesterday. I thought to myself, 'Lady you just don't know how fortunate I feel to be here in this A/C'd building wearing a coat and tie, I've been working in hell every summer for years.' I didn't say that 'cause she was a smart--- who would have accused me of being in denial.

Is it October yet?

I'm feeling exactly what the Floridians are feeling... its 94 in the shade on the windy side of the park office (John Tanner State Park). Haven't measured the sunny parts but I may have seen someone grilling without fire . I've been inside most of the day because we're got about 25 people on the entire park right now. Tomorrow will be a different story. Oh well, at least I can leave the air-conditioned office at 5:00 and go home to finishing my dog fence and mowing the grass.

Dusty Fuller
    Carrollton, GA

fwiw, it 93 here in Mpls, may not sound bad, but our average year around temp is in the 40's...it be hot for us snow people...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Me no likey summer. Too hot and too humid. The older I get the worse the summers feel to me. COME ON Fall and Winter!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Joe,
    Same state, over the hill (east side), lower humidity, more sun, less traffic.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Riding in this morning, the bicyle computer said it was 57 degress (that was at 5:00). That was nice!

how can that
    be concidered bad language???

And it points out i edited it because of the so called language?? no i didnt
    Last edited by Terry Fogarty; 08-15-2007 at 7:00 AM. Reason: Language

OK, I hate cold weather. I love Texas. But, enough is enough. My shellac flakes melted together in the truck today! Just think how much we appreciate great weather! I pity those folks in San Diego, that just cannot comprehend how great their weather is.