Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS dilemna...need guidance and wisdom!

TS dilemna...need guidance and wisdom!

I kinda need to catch my breath here and think things thru...I'm contemplating buying a used Griz 1023 TS and am having a fair bit of anxiety. It's a 10 YO 1023 with an updated SF Classic fence and a motor cover added. It's in really nice shape with a mobile base. It's been well used but obviously cared for. $500...pretty fair deal IMHO.

The dilemna...My head is spinning about this. I wasn't TS shopping, I just stumbled into a garage sale. I know that the 1023 is a more substantial saw than my 22124 and that I'd be set for life with a saw like this. The problem is that I also like my 22124 alot, and all advantages don't go to the 1023. The 22124 has 4" more CI surface area. I also prefer the Biese fence, plus I've slid it to the right for 40" rip. I also prefer the thigh kick on/off switch and the location on the 22124. My router table is all set up between the Biese rails... yada, yada. DC, stability, and even smoothness are about a wash...obviously the 1023 has more power and will last for decades. This should be a zero expenditure upgrade, though there will definitely be some work involved. This is exactly the kind of deal I always figured it would take for me to part with the 22124, but now that I"m faced with the opportunity, I'm paralyzed...need input! :crazy:
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-11-2007 at 2:14 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    Dedicate one for dado, one for rip.

I don't know the ins and outs of the saws, but if you are happy with what you have and it works good for you then why switch.

I have a 54 year old saw and it is still going great, so would the saw you have now last as long as you need.

I really believe that if you are happy with what you have then keep it. Maybe some point down the line you may find that you would want a new granite top saw with a Sawstop like blade stop in it. Who knows what they will come out with in the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Dedicate one for dado, one for rip.
    No room for both, and that move would overfill the doghouse too!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I don't know the ins and outs of the saws, but if you are happy with what you have and it works good for you then why switch.

I have a 54 year old saw and it is still going great, so would the saw you have now last as long as you need.

I really believe that if you are happy with what you have then keep it. Maybe some point down the line you may find that you would want a new granite top saw with a Sawstop like blade stop in it. Who knows what they will come out with in the next 5 years.
    Some good points there Bill...I doubt my saw will last 54 years, but it should last a while, and as you say...who knows what's coming out 5 years from now?

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, quite the dilemma. If your 22124 is stalling every time you try to rip some of that 8/4 maple you have lying around (read sarcasm here) I guess you better switch. Seriously, I understand the decision . . . 3HP does sound nice. I have got everything built around my 22124; RT, jigs, etc. and love the Bies. So far it has done all I've asked from it. Besides, used saws will flood the market once the US requires all the pro shops to have machines with riving knives ;-) You can have your pick of Grey-market saws then.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The pro shops may get muscled into SawStop saws also if they can stay in bussiness with this so called global economy crock of BS, and the houseing slow down.

I say go for the Grizz....PUSH PUSH!!!!

After some soul searching, the bottom line is that I don't want to part with my 22124. Not only does it do what I need, but I enjoy using it every time I fire it up, and there's alot to be said for that. My brain knows that the 1023 is more substantial, but it also knows that I don't need more, and frankly don't want to be bothered with the effort to switch...my wwing season is short enough as it is.

I'm fairly attached to my 22124...the whole adventure of stumbling into that deal was an unbelievable experience, and I've grown increasingly fond of it ever since.

It almost seems sacreligious but I'm gonna have to pass this time...it just doesn't "feel" right...."not me, not now!"
    Thanks for wisdom gang!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-11-2007 at 4:46 PM.

I never had a chance to respond earlier, but I think you made the right decision, Scott. There really wasn't enough differentiation to push it the other way...IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim on this one. Unless you have room for both, stick with what you have, if and until you ever decide to get the be-all-end-all TS which is probably another order of magnitude more expensive, even used.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I never had a chance to respond earlier, but I think you made the right decision, Scott. There really wasn't enough differentiation to push it the other way...IMHO.
    not even if he bought the grizz and then listed BOTH on ebay for $850 and kept the one that didn't sell?

If your happy...............

Scott,
    I agree with the masses. If your current saw does what you need it to do. No reason to change! Keep it until something comes out that you can't live with out! I don't think your going to pick up much if you make the switch. Not to mention it will push off a future saw purchase! So take a deep cleansing breath, and walk away!
    Good luck!
    Clint

Table Saw

Scott I believe you kept the right saw. I also have my sights on buying the
    Craftsman saw when it goes on sale again. It has very high reviews and I like everything about it and im sure it will last as long as the others. I agree with the guy who said buy it and make $100.00 bucks by reselling it.
    and buy yourself a new forrest blade for YOUR saw.

I am selling my 10" Delta UNisaw with Incra TSIII fence for $500 (A1 condition). Has to be picked up in RI.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos