Thread: Oval turning

Oval turning

Read a bot about a chuck called the VOD that lets you torn ovals.

Any one seen one?

Blog Entries
    That stands for Vicmark oval device. It's made by Vicmark but I don't know any more than that.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

No. Haven't seen one of those, but I've seen metal working lathes that can turn hex and octagon profiles. (As well as other numbers of sides). And boring bars that "drill" square holes.

I got to see the item in Portland. I think the cost is around $2,000. A complicated set of wheels, belts, and counter balances. You can change the size of the oval, and you can turn at up to 1500 rpm. Fred Holder did a review of it in his More Woodturning magazine. I found it very interesting, but didn't want to drop that much money on it. They had to shim it on the Robust lathe about 1/2 inch, so it is made for lathes up to 24 inch throw.
    robo hippy

HI

As said it is produced by Vicmark, details can be found in their current catalogue which can be dowloaded from there web site. This is a diect link to it It is a 6.3mb PDF file.

It was invented by a german turner called Johannes Volmer his site is well worth a visit to find out more about the chuck and oval turning in general. The link to the english version of his site is here.

john

I found I can turn an oval with my psi chuck. I just turn a wet peice of wood and let it sit out for a couple days, It always goes oval on me

Bob