Thread: Split Saw Nut Tool?

Split Saw Nut Tool?

I've never come across any split nuts on a saw, but have read they need a special tool. I can't find anything more about the tool on SMC or on the web. Can anyone enlighten me on this? I don't want to pick up an old saw and not be able to take the handle off without destroying the nuts.

Thanks

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/index-main.html

The above link wil tell you all you need to know and maybe much more regarding split saw nuts and saws in general, assuming I did it right and the link works.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

James,

That helped a great deal. I don't know if I can make one, as I don't have a way to harden metal, but I may be able to come up with something. I don't know why that didn't come up on Google.

Thanks,

Greg

Believe it or not I actually have a brace bit that appears to be designed for some form of slit nut, but it is too course for any saw I have with those in them. Glad I could help.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

I had the problem of removing split nuts from a saw. It was suggested to make a tool to remove the nuts. I just got a cheapo large PM flat head screwdriver and filed a notch in the center. I then filed it a bit thinner to fit the nuts. It worked great.

You can purchase a hex drive spade bit, grind the end flat (being semi careful to not turn it blue, and then file a notch in the center. At least, as long as one has a hex drive handle (who doesn't <g>)--but even if not, a functional handle takes but minutes to make and the former spade bit can be epoxied in.

Take care, Mike

Check with Lie-Nielsen. I beleive they have a split nut saw screwdriver for sale in the MISC TOOLS section.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

saw nut tool

You can use an old saw blade.Cut with a cold chisel finish it with a file it worked for me.
    Mel

Wow, lots of options. I love options, and SMC really opens the door to many that I never would have considered. Thanks, now I don't have to be afraid of a saw with split nuts.

10. Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt View Post
    Believe it or not I actually have a brace bit that appears to be designed for some form of slit nut,....
    I believe it. In the 19th century a standard set of 36 brace bits included a fork turnscrew bit - which was used for tightening split saw nuts. It was an important bit to the carpenter because with changes in weather it was (and is) not unusual for a handle to loosen. So having a standard bit to tighten it up made for good sense and much more satisfying sawing.

When we decided to make a dovetail saw with split nuts we knew that we also had to offer a driver for the screws, not just for routine maintenance but also for the kits. But we didn't like the idea of a costly separate tool. So in keeping with the tradition that the saw nut driver is just one more bit in a set of bits we decided to make the driver part of a modern sets of tools that just about everyone has - a 1/4" hex driver. So here it is - this is a prototype - production - which will have a better finish should be along in early September. One real bright side is that by just having a driver, we save a lot of money of handles and things so it will be cheap enough so it can be a low cost accessory not a major tool purchase (under 10 bucks). It will of course fit our saw nuts, I don't know about other makers.

Joel, tools for working wood
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would go with the Lie-Nielsen version as was mentioned -- they are about $20.00, but sized to fit these screws and very nice maple handles. I have several for my planes and they are beautiful to use -- fits the cap-iron screw perfectly too so you do not ding it up when sharpening the blade.

Thanks!

Scot