Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's you favorite Bowl gouge?

What's your favorite bowl gouge?

I am toying with the need to get a larger/longer bowl gouge.

I have a 1/2" Henry Taylor which I like but it could be about 1-2 inches longer for a lot of my stuff.

I'm thinking either Oneway double end 3/4" or a Hamlet deep hollow set.

What do you guys recommend?

p.s. most of my turnings are about 8" deep or less and about 10-11" diameter.
    I am not above making my own if I could find a place to drive the channel fo me.

Bob[COLOR=blue]
    Last edited by Bob Oswin; 01-25-2004 at 8:26 AM. Reason: can't change spelling error in header

I have a Sorbey 3/4 inch i realy like and the two that came in the harbour frieght set for $30 that look like sorbys and i switch between the two depends on how tight things are at the time, so its a toss up for me . Oh ya i also have a real cheap set of tools that the guy i bought my first lathe from gave me in the deal that are not real good ,dont hold an edge very well so they just sit and collect dust.
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

The Ellsworth signature gouge is the tool I use 95% of the time for both the inside and outsides of bowls and the exterior of hollow vessels. This is a 5/8" (1/2" US measure) bowl gouge with a swept back grind similar to what's called an "Irish grind". I like this grind so much I also put it on my Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge...the flute is slightly different, but for rough cuts is works great and allows me to go a little longer before hitting the grinder.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

my favorite, huh?

well, my current favorite bowl gouge is my ONLY bowl gouge. It is a Sorby 1/2" fingernail. I like it a lot. I also have a 1/4" spindle gouge that I put a fingernail grind on that I use quite a bit.

I am in the market for an Ellsworth though. I have used one and it is a sweet tool.

keithz
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

I turn medium to large stuff, and I use the 3/4 inch Glasser gouge and the 1/2 in Glasser most of the time with less sharpening they really move wood.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I use two 1/4 Craft Supplies Artisan and a 3/8 Artisan, I turn very few bowls but I use them for my hollow vessels.

Hi Bob,

My big bowl gouge is the Hamlet 1/2" 2060, and it is very nice! But my favorite right now is my little Glaser 3/8". It has such a nice feel to it! I think my next one will be a bigger Glaser.

Scott.

I like using a 5/8" Glaser. A wonderful tool within it's range, which is also the range of thge work I like to do.

The deep bowls you describe sound to me like they could be end grain bowls.

For end grain I like to use a a ring tool or a hook tool though I will often hog out a good portion of an endgrain bowl with my henery Taylor "bowl buster". That is a tool sold by Craft Supplies. It is mostly a 3/4" bar of steel with a short shallow flute to maintain it's stiffness when hung a long way past the tool rest.

If you are doing end grain bowls then the hamlet Goliath is a nice tool. The main issue with the ring tools is sharpening. The tool never seams as sharp as when it is new
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Hi Bob,
    I have some sort of signature 1/2 Sorby that is nice and long. To reach end grain near the bottom I have a BIG beefy 1/2 round scraper.
    I need to get a 1 1/2" roughing gouge to tame the logs - I do a lot of bowls without cutting the pieces round on the bandsaw. My 3/4" roughing gouge is bending at the tang. Typically, I make longer handles out of maple or dogwood. -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Inniss
    I need to get a 1 1/2" roughing gouge to tame the logs - I do a lot of bowls without cutting the pieces round on the bandsaw. My 3/4" roughing gouge is bending at the tang.
    Steve, roughing gouges aren't really the best tool to use for taking a rough log section to round on the lathe unless they are in end-grain orientation...and even there I don't use them. Roughing gouges are generally considered spindle turning tools, especially with the tang design. (You probably know that, but for the benefit of folks new to turning...) I actually use my Ellsworth gouge or the equivalent 5/8" Sorby with the same basic grind to take both face-plate oriented and end-grain oriented rough blanks to round between centers. You can take a little cut or a big cut depending on how you hold the tool and what you have to work with and it's still very fast, especially if you have some power on your lathe.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Steve, roughing gouges aren't really the best tool to use for taking a rough log section to round on the lathe unless they are in end-grain orientation...and even there I don't use them. Roughing gouges are generally considered spindle turning tools, especially with the tang design. (You probably know that, but for the benefit of folks new to turning...) I actually use my Ellsworth gouge or the equivalent 5/8" Sorby with the same basic grind to take both face-plate oriented and end-grain oriented rough blanks to round between centers. You can take a little cut or a big cut depending on how you hold the tool and what you have to work with and it's still very fast, especially if you have some power on your lathe.
    Jim,
    You make a good point, and considering that users of all skill levels may be reading this, I should be much clearer. A square profile gouge can deliver massive catches in bowl work and should be avoided.

That being said, for profile roughing cuts, I prefer to use a gouge normally sold as a spindle gouge for centerwork, but the use is very specific and is part of my process. I have a Jet 18" bandsaw, but often do not use it to cut the log section to round - I personally find this a dangerous, and slower process - I go directly to the lathe. I do not like to use a bowl gouge at this very early stage. The roughing gouge can throw off the wet shavings much more efficiently than the deep flutes of a bowl gouge. Also, the bowl gouge is an expensive tool to use for this type of roughing, and too long at this stage when I'm close to the rest.
    For 98% of the process though, I use the 1/2" bowl gouge and a BIG scraper towards the bottom. -Steve

It is ALWAYS the exact one I <b>Don't</b> have...!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Inniss
    Jim,

For 98% of the process though, I use the 1/2" bowl gouge and a BIG scraper towards the bottom. -Steve
    Hi Again Guys:
    One of the reasons I raised this question is that I am trying to deal with a fair share of wood that is subject to tearout.
    I would like to be able to shear cut as much of the surface on this type of wood as possible because sanding away tearout generally makes the surface uneven.
    I have narrowed my search down to either a 1/2' or 5/8" bowl gouge.
    I am leaning toward the Ellsworth grind as I learn how to control he gouges better.

I can either go cobalt HSS from Oneway which gives me a very durable edge or carbon steel from Ashley Ives that gives me the sharpest edge.
    (at the sacrifice of more trips to the sharpener)
    Hamlet offers a modified HSS that is suppoed to give 4 times the wear resistance of M2.
    Hamlet seems to offer the best value.
    So for this time I will be the Lab Rat!
    I will post my subjective/anecdotal findings as soon as I get my hands on one of these tools!

Thanks to all for your wisdom and experience!
    Bob

"Irish grind"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The Ellsworth signature gouge is the tool I use 95% of the time for both the inside and outsides of bowls and the exterior of hollow vessels. This is a 5/8" (1/2" US measure) bowl gouge with a swept back grind similar to what's called an "Irish grind". I like this grind so much I also put it on my Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge...the flute is slightly different, but for rough cuts is works great and allows me to go a little longer before hitting the grinder.
    From Paul, new to the wood turnery world.
    Jim, could you perhaps give us a sketch or picture of this "Irish grind". Or maybe a referance to a picture on the web. Seeing as I'm 100% Irish I figure to check this out. I have done a fair amount of tool grinding in the industrial world, so I understand much of the technical terms, this one has escaped me some how....Thanks

Bob, I'd recommend you stick with the HHS or similar. The carbon steel isn't just an issue with trips to the grinder, it's terribly easy to ruin the tool by overheating when sharpening as you loose temper at a very low temperature. That makes for "really" soft steel that will not hold an edge even if you just look at it.

Any of the deep fluted gouges with an Irish or similar grind will give you the ability to do the shearing cuts you want on difficult materials...it's totally amazing the finish you can get right off the tool when you do this carefully. Additionally, these grinds are also great for hollowing bowls in the same circumstances as it's easy to "dial in" anything from a delicate to a very aggressive cut by just rotating the tip as you sweep through the contour of the bowl. Again, the finishing cut you can get, even on difficult wood is very impressive. I very rarely use scrapers on the inside of bowls due to this capability.
    --