Thread: Attaching oak veneer to sheet metal (steel)

Attaching oak veneer to sheet metal (steel)

OK, i am working on a project for a magnet board, where there will be sheet metal, glues to a plywood backer, and then a layer of oak veneer over the metal. So in the end, all you see is wood and the magnets stick to the wood.

So what is the best sytem to adhere the metal to the plywood, and the veneer to the metal? Will contact cement, ala NYW lamentations?

THanks,
    Dave.

3M "Super 77" or Weldwood contact cement will work. You will need to clean the metal to be sure there is no oil on the surface and then scuff it with sandpaper. (Don't touch the metal surface after cleaning and scuffing). Also, a paper or phenolic backed veneer should be used. "Raw" veneer will not stay "stuck down" using contact, esp. on metal.
    David DeCristoforo

David.

You must do some interesting work from time to time. It seems as if you have a practical solution to a wide range of issues. Thanks for sharing them.

Epoxy may be an another atlernative here to bond two dissimilar materials.

"...You must do some interesting work from time to time..."

Interesting...or weird? Either way, after forty years one should have picked up a few things...no?
    And as an old and dear friend is fond of saying, "I may not always be right but I'm never uncertain....."
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    3M "Super 77" or Weldwood contact cement will work. You will need to clean the metal to be sure there is no oil on the surface and then scuff it with sandpaper. (Don't touch the metal surface after cleaning and scuffing). Also, a paper or phenolic backed veneer should be used. "Raw" veneer will not stay "stuck down" using contact, esp. on metal.
    Thanks that is greast advice.
    Dave

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I recently veneered some Etimoe onto a piece of aluminum for a dash panel on an AC Cobra. I called 3M and they said my best bet was to use their 8090 Trim Adhesive, as this might be subjected to sunlight and high heat. I found some at AutoZone for about $18/can. Worked like a charm.