Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workbench purchase question

Workbench purchase question

I'm new to this forum, and have been trying to navigate the various forums/threads to find an answer so I wouldn't have to ask a likely overdone question.

I'm curious if anyone has had experience with the Garrett Wade cabinetmaker bench (with built-in cabinet). It's on sale, and received less-than-glowing reviews in FWW late last year. My other option is the Deifenbach basic European model, but given the weight difference, I'd tend to favor the Wade.

Most of the others are too rich for me, e.g. Lie-Nielsen. The other curious one was by Grizzly (4" top - massive!), but the review said the undercarriage was weak.

At any rate, I would welcome any opinions.
    Allan

I did a lot of research on the subject earlier this year and finally decided on the Sjobergs from Woodcraft. I read the review in, I think, FWW and it rated it pretty high. The only negative they mentioned was the finish and when I received my bench the finish IMHO, was flawless.

Thanks, Rick. I, too, was very close to buying the Sjoberg because it had a much heavier top (3" or so) than most of the others. Did you get the 2000 or 2500?

I got the 2000. It was pleanty long for me, and welcome to the Creek. You'll find a lot of good information at this site.

Allan,
    I have a Diefenbach bench. It is either the European or German model ( I can't remember which and my forgetter is working overtime). It is a solid bench with good vise hardware. I cannot provide any insight into the other models you mentioned.
    Steve

Allan, Steve,

I looked into the Diefenbach bench and even saw them at a local college woodworking class here in New Mexico. They are supposedly good benches but the ones I saw in the classroom were not up to the standards of my Sjobergs. Granted, the instructor told me that when the school received them they were stored in a metal storage container for a few months prior to bringing them in the shop but overall the Sjobergs, especially the two vises are better than the Diefenbach, IMHO.

I picked up a Laguna Tools bench with cabinets up on the secondary market and I like it. The quality of the vises is good and they work well. The top did require some flattening (previous owner used it more as an assembly table than workbench), but that isn't unheard of for a bench.

I got the sjoberg 2000 last year and I couldn't be happier. The finish was perfect for me (I did sand it with 400 grit and a bit of oil) it is smooooooth now before it felt fine anyway.
    Keep in mind that you might not pay tax from Woodcraft depending where you live and most important the shipping whith WC was not based on weight so I paid I like to say about $50 for shipping.
    Can't go wrong with it.
    Regards,
    Alex

You might like to read this tread I created last year at a different forum about the work bench options. I hope it helps with your choice.
    Good luck and let us know.
    http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1
    Regards

FWW also did a review of several benches late last year/early this year -- I believe it was in the Tools & Shops edition.

Thanks,

Scot

Alex,
    This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. What a helpful group of folks! I'm glad I found this forum

Workbench Question

If cost is your criterion, Harbor Freight just included a bench in their line. I believe it sells for $150 and is made of Maple. Not having seen it, their advertisement says it weighs 150lbs, which is getting in the ballpark.

I had a Sjoberg and sold it. Too flimsy.

Gary Curtis

Cost is but a small factor. I would prefer to stay closer to $1,000, if possible, but not by sacrificing quality. I would gladly add another $500 -- for instance for the Sjoberg -- rather than "settle" for another, less-expensive bench that isn't going to perform well over the decades-long run I plan to have with it. I'm betting the Sjoberg you were unhappy with was one of their smaller, lighter units. All the reviews -- from FWW to the posts here -- indicate that the Elite 2000/2500 units are top of the line. And from what I've seen from Harbor Freight, too much of it (all of it?) is from China, and is flimsy from the get-go. If I can avoid buying from them, I will.
    Thanks

For what it's worth, there's plenty to be said for making the bench yourself. More than a few members here have done that, and are more than willing to share plans, advice etc. It's one way of getting the bench you want, and getting it to your specs!
    Maurice

Allan,

You are probably right about Gary's comment about the Sjobergs being too flimsy. My 2000 is definitely not flimsy. To the contrary, it is very substantial and quite well constructed.