Thread: My First Time (Resawing, I Mean)

My First Time (Resawing, I Mean)

My bandsaw is the 17" Grizzly G0513X. I've had it since late last year, but haven't had the need or occasion to use it much until now. I needed to resaw some 7" wenge for accent pieces for a project I'm making. So last night, I installed a new Timber Wolf 3/4" 2/3 VPC resaw blade and tuned everything carefully. This was my first serious attempt at resawing. After checking and rechecking everything, and trying out a scrap piece, I ran the wenge through.

I was blown away; it was a thing of beauty. The saw and the new blade cut very smoothly, with no drift. It was a near orgasmic experience.

Ok, I know this is no big deal to most of you who have been doing this for awhile. For me, however, it was very cool and satisfying. I took a 4/4 board and (after planing the two resawn pieces) turned it into two .400" boards, which is exactly what I needed for the project.

Russ,
    That's something that I'm looking forward to myself! I'm 95% all hand tools, but would like to get a Craftsman 14" bandsaw just for resawing. I'm glad you had such a good experience. I can relate to the "feeling" when performing certain operations with my chisels, planes, scrapers, etc.
    Allan

Congrats Russ.

Being able to effectively resaw opens up a lot of possibilities for book matching as a design element. It also conserves on wood.

You must have a nice DC system also. Wenge is kinda nasty to mill.

Thumbs up Ain't it great?

Congratulations! Resawing & bookmatching is so cool. That Griz 513X looks like one nice machine. I had some reservations about the 0513 though many have it and are pleased. It sounds like the 0513X addressed those areas.

Nice job Russ. Glad you didn't hack up that wenge.

Allen, you might want to check out the new issue of Fine Woodworking before investing in a 14" bandsaw. They have a wonderful review of a variety of them.

Russ,

I agree. There's something oddly fun about resawing. Maybe because you're so close to the wood.

Sometimes I practice to see how thin of a piece I can cut. So far the thinnest is about 0.018" using my G0555X in 8" wide hard maple. It's amazing.

Jack