Thread: Attaching Wood to Marble/Granite

Attaching Wood to Marble/Granite

I'm working on a design for a three leg table with either a Marble or Granite top. The top will be round, somewhere in the vicinity of 13-16" diameter range. The table is a pedestal type; however, rather than turning a column and attaching three legs, I'm going to try using 3 bent laminations that meet in the center and flair out at the bottom to form the legs and also flair out at the top to support the table top.

My ideas for attaching the top are:

a) Have the "rock guy" form a "mortice" in the bottom of the top peice and put a wood "tenon" on top of the legs that fits inside. This has the advantage of being pretty strong and easy to attach (the weight of the top would hold it in place). The disadvantage is that with Marble, the translucense would be lost and if you pick up the table, you would only get the top. This is also somewhat of an expensive proposition from the "rock guy's" point of view.

b) Second idea is to drill three holes in the bottom of the top peice, epoxy in some machine screw threads, and screw upwards through the top part of the lags. This seems to make a lot of sence but I have little experience drilling these type of materials. I guess the "rock guy" could do it once the base was constructed.

c) Some kind of cement that would hold the top on the legs. I don't know what kind this would be.

Any ideas?

Hi Ed, my brother in law does this work for a living, and he said he just uses clear silicone to glue it down, but, he primarily does kitchen counters, not small tables. Maybe try calling Gorilla Glue? It's supposed to be the strongest glue avaliable??? Just a thought.

Glue sounds like the ticket

I would think that the Silicone Idea would be a good choice. or maybe a construction adhesive of some sort. Liquid nails sticks to just about everything, including Non-Porous surfaces, like glass. I have used it to hold mirrors to Glazed Tile Surfaces, and it did just fine.................Just a few more ideas for ya.

Shouldn't be a problem

I would use silicone "adhesive". There is a difference between "adhesive" and "sealant". The former is glue, the latter, caulk. Many don't make the destinction. Home centers probably don't carry the adhesive, just sealant. Believe me. The adhesive will hold 'till the cows come home.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Re: Shouldn't be a problem

Originally posted by Phil Phelps
    I would use silicone "adhesive". There is a difference between "adhesive" and "sealant". The former is glue, the latter, caulk. Many don't make the destinction. Home centers probably don't carry the adhesive, just sealant. Believe me. The adhesive will hold 'till the cows come home.
    Phil...good point, and you are correct. Just asked him and he said that they use the adhesive, not the caulk. It didn't even dawn on me to think of the difference. Thanks for saving me!

Hey Phil, RUSTYNAIL here!!

A transplant from just north of you from Oklahoma to Florida. ( did go to college in Longview and my Son was born there about 38 years ago. In Florida fer the last 30+ years)

Just a wild thought and a bit OT, but thought I will throw it in.

I use your quote (-----till the cows come home) a lots, but do you realize that they come home in the morning and the evening for milking!!!!!!!!!!!! that two times a day wich is every 12 hours. So if you use this quote, it won't stay together to long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HI HI HI

Boy the mind is sure wondering this morning, I hope it doesn't get lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUSTYNAIL