I'm working on a design for a three leg table with either a Marble or Granite top. The top will be round, somewhere in the vicinity of 13-16" diameter range. The table is a pedestal type; however, rather than turning a column and attaching three legs, I'm going to try using 3 bent laminations that meet in the center and flair out at the bottom to form the legs and also flair out at the top to support the table top.

My ideas for attaching the top are:

a) Have the "rock guy" form a "mortice" in the bottom of the top peice and put a wood "tenon" on top of the legs that fits inside. This has the advantage of being pretty strong and easy to attach (the weight of the top would hold it in place). The disadvantage is that with Marble, the translucense would be lost and if you pick up the table, you would only get the top. This is also somewhat of an expensive proposition from the "rock guy's" point of view.

b) Second idea is to drill three holes in the bottom of the top peice, epoxy in some machine screw threads, and screw upwards through the top part of the lags. This seems to make a lot of sence but I have little experience drilling these type of materials. I guess the "rock guy" could do it once the base was constructed.

c) Some kind of cement that would hold the top on the legs. I don't know what kind this would be.

Any ideas?