Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20A or 30A breaker for G1023SLX TS

I had the same type of question about a 6" jointer I was considering buying from Grizzly. While I realize that I was asking for information on a different tool, it seems to be Grizzly's policy is to provide the maximum draw of a machine on their specs. Here is the email response I received from them.

...Thank you for contacting us with your questions. A 15 amp dedicated circuit is recommended for the G0604 Jointer. Also, a 15-amp dedicated circuit is recommended for the G0452 Jointer.

The 15-amp breaker in each circuit will provide the most protection for each machine. Each breaker should trip when the machine on its circuit is drawing approximately 15 amps for a period of time.

Since the motor on the G0604 should not pull more than 13 amps, a 15-amp dedicated breaker would provide adequate protection for this machine. Also, since the motor on the G0452 should not pull more than 14 amps, a 15-amp dedicated breaker would provide adequate protection for this machine. The proper 15-amp dedicated breakers would allow each machine to start and run properly.

Grizzly's responce is rather puzzeling. They perceive the breaker as being a protection to the machine, not your shop's wiring and possible fire hazzard. This is similar to some information that I found in my SawStop manual. I would say that based on the response I got from them a 20 amp circuit would be fine for you. If you're not sure, give Grizzly a call or send them an email like I did. That will give you a definitive answer from the source, not speculation from me.

Since I just had a new 220 circuit installed in my shop, I can understand that there is a big difference in cost due to the current high price of copper. Because of some savings I was able to provide to my electrician by rerouting the wire and providing some of the material he needed, he installed a 30 amp circuit for the same amount he quoted me for a 20 amp, but he's done a lot of work for me and we get along wery well. Your experience may differ.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Gfi?

I know that the 110v outlets in my garage must be GFI protected, does this also apply to the 220 service? Is this even possible? The outlet will be extremely close to the garage door (possible wet environment).

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT ANDREWS View Post
    I have my 1023 on a 20 A breaker with 10/3 wire and have never tripped it.
    Same with me...I've had my 1023 on a 20A breaker for...6 years now? Never tripped it yet.

30A is OK, but I think it's overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    It is not necessary to derate the circuit (125% of load) because this is a cord and plug application, so it is perfectly within NEC code to use the 20 amp circuit for an 18 amp (max) load.
    I'm a bit confused then. 210.1 explicitly says that circuits that supply only motor loads are covered by section 430. Does the fact that it's a cord and plug application override that, even though currently the circuit would be currently dedicated to a motor load?