Thread: Riving Knife - 2008?

Riving Knife - 2008?

I've read in several places that riving knifes are suppose to be standard equipment on TS's produced in 2008.

I would really like to buy a new TS, but since the riving knife is so close to being available, I'm just keeping my powder dry until the big boys start releasing riving knife equipped TS.

Anyone heard anything about Grizzly or Steel City bringing these to market yet? I know Grizzly has one on their 12", but I just need the standard 3 hp, 10" cabinet configuration, which Grizzly does not show to be equipped with a riving knife as of yet.

Just figured since they are rolling out new equipment as of late there might be word about TS and riving knife configurations.

The regulations are in two parts. "New" saws introduced after next January will have to meet the requirement, but "Old" designs have until 2014. At AWFS this year several manufacturers had saws with riving knives, including the Steel City Hybrid, and a 10" cabinet saw from Grizzly. There is a lor of information about this on the Popular Woodworking website, and on the Popular Woodworking Blog.

Bob Lang

Ah hah! So the manufacturers have another six years before they have to retrofit any existing design.

Got it.

I'll continue to wait until a riving knife equipped cabinet saw that fits my budget hits the market. Current offerings are not an option. Thanks Bob.

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Jet has a new Xacta Saw called the Xacta Saw Deluxe which has a bunch of cool stuff including a riving knife. I'd give them a look.
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Chris--see my post yesterday and today on the new Grizzly 10 in contractor saw with riving knife coming out in February--its in their new catalog for 08 at an intro price of $725--pretty interesting if you need to keep the cost down to a dull roar like I do, Jim Gildenvan