Thread: Shoulder Plane

Talking Shoulder Plane

Hello!
    I know this has been done to death...but tomorrow will be the pay-day I have been waiting on to "pull the trigger" on a shoulder plane.
    The Obvious, either a LV or LN.
    I just cannot seem to wrap my head around the aesthetics of the LV though. However, so many of folks tout the LV above the LN.
    So anyway I was hoping to make my first LN purchase, but have that nagging in the back of my head.
    I even like the Clifton, but I cannot see the price difference. I never have heard an explanation besides currency rates as to why it is so much higher.
    So anyone who has any side by side time with both of these tools, is it a toss up?
    Thanks for all the input!

I have the LV Medium Shoulder and I absolutely love it.

I have all 3 of the LV shoulder planes and they are all great.

I have a LV medium shoulder and a LN large shoulder. Each has its own feel and attributes. I dislike the looks of the LV but probably use it more than the LN. I have to add, though, that the LV was purchased first and because I'm more familiar with it, I subjectively reach for it first. The LN is a more traditional appearance and some say the grip is a bit difficult to get used to. The LV is more ergonomic.

Both have responsive adjusters, with the LV having a Norris type that also controls side to side blade movement. I don't really depend on the set screw adjustments that locate the LV blade.

In short, you can't go wrong with either shoulder plane manufacturer. I can't add anything about Clifton, other than I have a #3 bench plane and it is my "go to" smoother (I have a rather large assemblage of new and vintage planes to choose from)

I have the LN medium shoulder plane and it has proven to be a wonderful tool. I suspect that the LV planes are functionally just as good, but I also love the classic look and feel of the LN products.

Any of the choices you list will do the job marvelously, I think the choice is really one of cosmetics, and pride of ownership. Since the LN and LV are effectively the same price, money isn't a factor...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

The H.N.T. Gordon shoulder planes are a pleasure to use. I frequently use mine on Bubinga, Quilted Maple, and Jatoba. They are very easy to set for fine shavings and the blade can be reversed for use as a scraper. Just another option to consider.

7. What Tony said.

RN

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    I have the LV Medium Shoulder and I absolutely love it.

Ditto. I find it comfortable to use and consider it a good value for my small and hopefully growing collection of Neander tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why do you want a shoulder plane in the first place?

Mike

10. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hammers View Post
    So anyone who has any side by side time with both of these tools, is it a toss up?
    IMO, basically yes... I have he LN large and the LV med. Like everyone else, I like the looks of the LN better, but the ergonomics of the LV are a bit better, IMO. It's marginal, however, and I really think they're functionally almost dead even. The set screws in the LV are a good idea, I guess, but to be honest I've never found it too difficult to keep the blades set properly so I don't use them.

If it makes any difference, I actually use the LN more often, but that's more due to the fact that I like the larger size more than a comment on the planes themselves.

I say get whichever one 'calls out' to you more. If both equal, flip a coin. You'll be perfectly satisfied with either.

Thank you to everyone who responded with knowlege and kindness. I suppose I knew in my heart that it was going to be a coin toss. However I value what you folks have to say, done so without impudence. I have learned ALOT from lurking and listening.

Why do you want a shoulder plane in the first place?
    For joinery.

The H.N.T. Gordon shoulder planes are a pleasure to use.
    I have two fine applewood shoulder planes but want the benefits of the metal plane.

As for the rest of the story..
    I apprenticed in cabinet shops before I took a sales job away from woodworking, now it is a hobby and I am learning the fine art of handtools as well as putting together a nice collection for my sons.
    I have nearly completed my basic neander tool set. My first plane being a great No. 5 jack and my second neander tool was a box of Bandaids!
    I have always thought that LN was the Holy Grail for my hand tool collection, and purposefully waited till it was nearly done to "crown" it.
    I am not knocking some of the beautiful Stanley planes I have and the smattering of antique woodies. I also have several wonderful Knight woodies, but those beautiful LN's....well as I said they were to be the crowning jewels.
    It has been a wonderful three years of learning and collecting. Today I am to receive my Tite-Mark (another three years of wishing and waiting).
    I know some of you will appreciate this longwindedness, and I am glad for this forum to be able and communicate it.
    As soon as the budget allows I will get a digital camera and proudly display my quaint basement workshop, with the lovely view of a southern Indiana sunset coming in.
    As far as the shoulder plane?......aaahhh....the joy of the pursuit.......
    Cheers!...

Well, there is another LN to tempt - an accessory tothe shoulder plane you finally choose. This is the new LN joinery float for tenon faces.

These pics were taken immediately after purchase and used before sharpening (they need to be sharpened before serious use). I have since sharpened the teeth and can report that the float cuts well.

I plan to do a full review at a later time, once I feel I can do the float justice. For now it reveals loads of promise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - This may be getting into your review, but what's the advantage of a joinery float over a flat rasp of the same size (for trimming the cheeks of a tenon)?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.