Thread: Need minature rail & stile bit recomendations

Need minature rail & stile bit recomendations

Looking for recommendations on a minature 3 piece rail and style router bit set for making small doors. I have found pricing for CMT @ $149. at Sommerfeldtools.com, Jesada @ $115. and Whiteside in the middle but on ebay. Jesada offers the best deal at $115. on a matched set (?) but I have had Jesada unmatched sets before also. Any suggestions or recommendations? TIA......

Gene

Gene, I've had very good luck with Whiteside bits. Both my rail and stile sets are Whiteside and I've never had a problem with fit. I've had good luck dealing with briartoysq on e-bay too. His mini rail and stile cutters are $89.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Gene, I know that CMT is a little pricey, but I have a few of their sets, the miniature panel set is one of them. Although I haven't had it out and cutting in about two or three years, when I did use it, it worked like a champ. One thing though, because these sets are for doing miniature panels, the work is "up close and personal" and does call for increased attention to safety. The miniature rail and stile and panel sets are great, but they are a bit of a novelty thing. Not that that is a bad thing.

Fred Voorhees
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Gene, I've had very good luck with Whiteside bits. Both my rail and stile sets are Whiteside and I've never had a problem with fit. I've had good luck dealing with briartoysq on e-bay too. His mini rail and stile cutters are $89.
    Hi Dennis,

So briartoys is a good outfit to deal with. This is where I found the Whiteside bits too. I have the full size set and they are good. I noticed that briartoys says they will be shipped direct from the factory. Does this slow down delivery, I'm needing them for a project.

Thanks

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees
    Gene, I know that CMT is a little pricey, but I have a few of their sets, the miniature panel set is one of them. Although I haven't had it out and cutting in about two or three years, when I did use it, it worked like a champ. One thing though, because these sets are for doing miniature panels, the work is "up close and personal" and does call for increased attention to safety. The miniature rail and stile and panel sets are great, but they are a bit of a novelty thing. Not that that is a bad thing.

Fred Voorhees
    Hi Fred,

I can relate to your tip on safety. They talk about raised panels as small as 2", not in my hands. Just maybe 4"!

Gene

I have the CMT set from Sommerfield and Have used it for three years and it is great. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

ace

Gene, I bought both of the CMT panel sets at the Atlanta show two years ago. Both are top rate and I would buy either sets again. Watch your fingers VERY CLOSELY!!! with the mini set. Keith
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

Bought the small CMT set from Marc Sommerfeld a few years ago. A very nice set of bits. If they still include his video with the set, it shows how Marc works with those tiny pieces safely, with a couple simple jigs.

If they don't still include the video "Mini raised panels made easy", I recommend it as an additional purchase no matter which bits you choose.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Callison
    Hi Dennis,

So briartoys is a good outfit to deal with. This is where I found the Whiteside bits too. I have the full size set and they are good. I noticed that briartoys says they will be shipped direct from the factory. Does this slow down delivery, I'm needing them for a project.

Thanks

Gene

Gene, I don't know where mine came from, the factory I guess, but I paid with paypal and it took less than a week to get the bits.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Callison
    Looking for recommendations on a minature 3 piece rail and style router bit set for making small doors. I have found pricing for CMT @ $149. at Sommerfeldtools.com, Jesada @ $115. and Whiteside in the middle but on ebay. Jesada offers the best deal at $115. on a matched set (?) but I have had Jesada unmatched sets before also. Any suggestions or recommendations? TIA......

Gene
    Hello Gene

I don't have any experience with the miniature rail and style sets from Woodline, but I do have some bits from and find them quite servicible. They list 3 sets. {usual disclaimer no affiliation etc.}
    http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prod...ld=description
    (scroll down to the middle of the page)