Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Sharpening skews and bowl steadies.

HELP!!! Sharpening skews and bowl steadies.

Folks,

After almost two years of turning and lots of ground down chisels, I finally-more or less-know how to sharpen a bowl gouge on my grinder. I have discovered that the Tormek is made for those with patience and perfectionists, none of those sins pertaining to me. I still don't know how to sharpen a skew, and no matter how often I look at skew, son of skew and even grandson of skew dvd's I can't get a nice unbutchered skew. I have the attachment for my wolverine jig but really can't get an even bevel. Any and all advice welcome
    As long as I'm at it, what do you folks use for a bowl steady? I've seen the oneway and wonder if it will work well with a long vase???
    Thanks, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I do my skews with the wolverine jig or using a sander for the skew that I want a flat vice hollow grind bevel on.

I have found one thing that is important no matter the method. And that's to not use the grind a little and look, grind a little and look method. Once I touch the skew to the wheel or sandpaper it stays in contact until that side of of the skew is done. Before I figured this out I would end up with a really horrible face with multiple facets and it would not cut well at all.

Once I figure out how to get a single faceted face the other problem is getting the bevel and skew angle you want. I actually measure both each time I sharpen so I know if I need to make any adjustments. I find it easier to make small adjustments all the time than to wait until the angles are way off and then have to grind a bunch of metal to get the tool back in shape.

That's my $1.298. Hope it helps some.

For the bowl steady question, the OneWay is a very nice unit if you want to buy a commercial offering. You can also make a very nice bowl steady setup with a few roller-blade wheels and some scrap materials if you want to economize and have the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do you have the tormek?

I have a tormek and I use this jig for my skew. Works like a charm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do I have a Tormek.... Oh brother

Thanks for all your help. Yup, I bought a new Tormek here in Columbia with all the fixings-almost none of which I have ever used, and I bought a used Tormek with turners' jigs in VA. I also have a Makita, grinders up the kazoo and almost a dozen other sharpening jigs. The fact is though that I am terrible. Sometimes I feel like a kid at a Carny show. I see other people doing things with ease and jump and buy the stuff, only to be reminded of how inept I am. I've tried the Tormek but it takes time and I always want to just sharpen and get back to the lathe. I'll try it again, as I have five skews here and four in VA that are in desperate need of sharpening. I'll also try not to constantly look at the skew as Paul suggested. I look frequently with bowl gouges, but without much problem. Thanks again. Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I use two of the Oneway Bowl steadies, one on each side of hollow forms. This setup works great and allows for different set ups.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Hilel Salomon View Post
    I've tried the Tormek but it takes time and I always want to just sharpen and get back to the lathe.

Give the tormek another go with the jig. Once you get the right grind, it really is quick to just get a fresh edge on the tormek. Also, the slow speed makes it easy to not take off too much at one time.

Another thing I do sometimes is touch up the skew on the side of the tormek wheel (DO NOT try this on a regular-speed grinder!)

One thing that will speed up the job on the TORMEK is to use the vertical mount for the Universal Support instead of the horizontal mount. The horizontal mount is shown in the hand book, and is generally a better choice, but on a skew, particularly when it has been hand ground a few times, the vertical mount will get you where you're going a lot faster.
    Last edited by Jeff Farris; 08-20-2007 at 4:29 PM. Reason: mistake
    Jeff Farris

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Farris View Post
    One thing that will speed up the job on the TORMEK is to use the vertical mount for the Universal Support instead of the horizontal mount. The horizontal mount is shown in the hand book, and is generally a better choice, but on a skew, particularly when it has been hand ground a few times, the vertical mount will get you where you're going a lot faster.
    Jeff,

Are you able to sharpen a curved skew in this fashion?

Thanks.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Yes. It takes just a little more concentration on the operator's part, because the stone is turning into the cutting edge and pushing the jig away from the Universal Support. Use one hand to push the jig against the bar of the Universal Support and the other to put some pressure against the grindstone.
    Jeff Farris

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Farris View Post
    Yes. It takes just a little more concentration on the operator's part, because the stone is turning into the cutting edge and pushing the jig away from the Universal Support. Use one hand to push the jig against the bar of the Universal Support and the other to put some pressure against the grindstone.
    Thanks for the tip Jeff, it's helpful to have you adding comments on SMC.

One other tip I like to use with the skew and other chisels is to use a red marker and color the cutting edge before I hit the grinder so when I do grind I know what has been hit and what hasn't.
    John T.

John has a good tip there -- never cut more than you need to, and keep the bevel uniform so that it cuts the same when you go back to the lathe.

One more tip for skews on a TORMEK that I will mention is that the alignment of the Universal Support and the surface of the grindstone is particularly critical for this application. I almost always true the grindstone before I resharpen a skew. Bring the Universal Support right down to the grindstone and inspect the line of light between the two surfaces. If it isn't perfectly straight, true your stone before you start. That will keep the two bevels the same.
    Jeff Farris

sharpening the skew

Jeff, I read your postings with special interest. I am in the middle of some turners that dont like the Tormek.They were in awe when Tormek came out with instructions on sharpening the Irish--Ellsworth grind in about a minute. They rode me hard on that issue till then. Thanks.

sharpening the skew

Patric, what you are showing is the jig with the oval skew. I am asking about a jig that will hold a skew with square cornere. I have 4 of them of various widths. Yes, I can use the low speed grinder, but I see dollar signs going away from me, never to return. I much prefer to get as much cutting as I can from those rascals not watch the sparks and steel disappear. Thanky, Max