Thread: European dunno wood and the "stinson special"

European dunno wood and the "stinson special"

A european dunno-burl, with a new feature I'll be offering my customers soon. It's the "optional stinson finish" that is only available by special request. I'm thinking this will be a pretty significant upcharge from the regular finish option.

(in no way does this message imply that I have ever sold, will ever sell, or have considered bartering goods or services for any of my turned items. Furthermore, I will not tell you which street the gallery may or may not be on that may or may not contain items that I may or may not have turned that may or may not contain the now highly collectable Optional Stinson Finish, so don't even ask! Any implied willingness to part with the highly prized Optional Stinson Finish at any cost is only a figment of your imagination! The views expressed here are not necessarily those of the owner of this computer and may or may not be the views of the owner of this brain.)

Attached Images Attached Images

I see you're still learning how to use the 'crinkle tool'. Good work though! I'm very impressed

better check with travis.

he might have a patent on that finish.

you may have to pay royalties or wash his dirt bike every weekend.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    A european dunno-burl, with a new feature I'll be offering my customers soon. It's the "optional stinson finish" that is only available by special request. I'm thinking this will be a pretty significant upcharge from the regular finish option.

(in no way does this message imply that I have ever sold, will ever sell, or have considered bartering goods or services for any of my turned items. Furthermore, I will not tell you which street the gallery may or may not be on that may or may not contain items that I may or may not have turned that may or may not contain the now highly collectable Optional Stinson Finish, so don't even ask! Any implied willingness to part with the highly prized Optional Stinson Finish at any cost is only a figment of your imagination! The views expressed here are not necessarily those of the owner of this computer and may or may not be the views of the owner of this brain.)

I had to look at this post several times before deciding to respond...
    While I realize that you put untold hours into the highly creative and clearly well executed Stinson finish, I much prefer the finish applied before the Stinson (in this case)...
    Call me "Old School," or suggest that I am not open to change, BUT(and), while I understand the unique and breakthrough artistic application of new techniques, I think it would be better suited to plain Ebony or some exotic burl where the finish can REALLY shine.
    I hope that you understand this point of view, not as a criticism, but as an artistic observation, intended to spark consideration and conversation.
    Change One Thing

Hmmmm, looks like you still need to practice your finish. I see some smooth spots in the finish, that with a little more care and practice, could have easily been roughened!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Nicely done Pat! I think the number of uses of that are endless! Why I bet I can even find uses for it in the kitchen!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I think you may have found the secret to being able to sell these on one of the popular auction sites. This is just the kind of finish that buyers will love.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Fusaro View Post
    better check with travis.

he might have a patent on that finish.

you may have to pay royalties or wash his dirt bike every weekend.
    Hmm.. I'd better switch to plastic wrap, or maybe waxed paper. That is... if he didn't already patent those too!

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    ...I hope that you understand this point of view, not as a criticism, but as an artistic observation, intended to spark consideration and conversation.
    Artsy schmartsy! If princess diana plates are collectable, so is the Stinson Finish! (TM <- Hah! take that Travis!)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heely View Post
    I think you may have found the secret to being able to sell these on one of the popular auction sites. This is just the kind of finish that buyers will love.
    Included care sheet: "When finish becomes dull or dirty, simply remove and apply a new coat!"

Wow....a Stinson Original Finish!!! Awe-inspiring!!! Love the form and the finish is Spot On.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well Patrick, I too have had to think about this work of art before responding. My honest opinion is that you have learned well and obviously you have outdone the master ! Your work is easily surpurb.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Travis, just remember: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

I love the disclaimer!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Nyvall View Post
    I love the disclaimer!!!!!
    I was trying to make light of the recent advertising mess, with reverence to Jim's gallery post, but I figures nobody read it (we all ignore disclaimers anyways, right?)

We sure do. And I did read Jim's post and I think that it is ........ Well if I would want to say anything to upset anyone.