Thread: Broken KeenKutter K8

Broken KeenKutter K8

Purchased a keenkutter off the bay rescently, and was happy when it arrived in a couple days. Not happy that my new number 8 was broken in half right as the level of the tip of the blade. Cleanly in two...

New break, so not the sellers fault as far as I can see; Thoughts?

Could I get it welded? Jeff

I've seen a lot of them welded.
    But 99% do not work out.

Did you file a shipping damage claim?
    Did you have insurance?

USPS does not have insurance unless you specifically pay for it. FedEx and UPS have a minimum insurance on all packages. You should file a damage claim to at least secure your investment. I have seen welds on cracked planes, never on a full break. I suspect the weld will seriously compromise the flatness of the sole.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Sounds like you have an organ donor. The K8 may have died so that others may live. I would think that those are badrock parts so they should be top dollar. I am sorry for you loss.

Jeff,
    I had the same situation with a stanley #7. It was quick shipping but also in two pieces. As cheap as I am, I had the local welder (they specialize in micro welding) braze the two halves whole again. I then flattened the sole and this plane has become my goto plane. A few suggestions 1) this process is not a given that it will work 2) make sure the welder is good at brazing cast iron 3) plane on spending some time to flatten the sole/sides 4) make sure you clamp the plane up how you want it brazed I would clamp to a flat plate and clamp the sides parallel.

good luck

Chris

patching up the plane....

WEll, I don't have a lot of access to welders or the like, but had considered that option and am continuing to do so as a second option to consider. Because this plane will probably end up being a donor to other projects, I descided to play around with it myself. I placed the plane on a flat board that I use for sharpening. I got the pieces matched up perfectly. I took the best superglue I could find and attached the pieces together in this perfect position. Then, I checked the sole and note that when inked, it seems to sand eveninly all over suggesting that it is indeed flat.

No, I am not stopping with the superglue! I have now cleaned the metal with emery and am getting ready to drill several small, mm depth holes on either side of the glued crack--not all the way through. Then, after creating a good rough surface to bond, am going to plance JB weld on the inside of the plane on both sides. After that, will check that sole again and see how it works. It really wouldn't hurt to put it on both sides although that would hurt functionality and appearance more. Will see how all this goes.

It sounds as if it may well be doomed to fail, but on the other hand, I have done some interesting rigging with JB that has lasted for years (hole in a transmission that had been leeking, etc....).

Will let you all know how things shape up; Jeff

JB Weld

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Larsen View Post
    Purchased a keenkutter off the bay rescently, and was happy when it arrived in a couple days. Not happy that my new number 8 was broken in half right as the level of the tip of the blade. Cleanly in two...
    As others have already suggested, brazing may be an option if you can find a local welding/machine shop willing to work with old cast iron. Another option is to try JB Weld. As I mentioned in a previous thread, it solved a similar problem for me not too long ago. Cleaned, sharpened, and put back into service, my #7 has become as real workhorse in my shop.

Worst case scenario, the JB Weld doesn't hold, and you have some sanding/filing to do before taking your plane to the welder.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut