Thread: Angled through tenons

Angled through tenons

Hi All, I saw a post here of a step stool that had through wedged tenons. But they were angled. What's the best way to do this? Here's a pic but sorry I can't remember who made it. It's a beauty!
    P.S. I'd like to use my mortise machine if at all possible but have never done any through mortises on it yet, let alone angled ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Tolchinsky; 08-21-2007 at 6:19 PM.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan,
    To make the mortices, use a drill press with the table angled 10 to 15 degrees. Bore the mortice and clean up with a chisel. As for the tenons, most tenon jigs will allow you to cut them on an angle (use the same angle as the mortices.).
    Maurice

Maurice has it. As to the stool design, not taking anything away from the person who built the one in the pic as it is a beauty, but the design (on one darn close) appeared in FWW a while back. It was Mario Rodriguez that presented it and he has detailed instructions in the issue (#154). Article availbe on their site as PDF - do a search on "wedged through tenon".

Thanks Mauric,

Your method makes sense but I should have mentioned that I have a mortising machine. Now with that I am stumped on making the angled mortise. Maybe I'll just do it your way. Thanks.

I haven't done through ones with a mortising machine but did a couple of angled mortises just by sliding wedges under the stock and clamping it down at the right angle. I would think blowing out the back of the mortise doing thru ones would be a real possibilty unless you also have a backer board clamped on as well. I'd go with Maurice's suggestion if I were doing it.
    Use the fence Luke

I agree with the drill press method. I have tried through angled mortises with my mortiser but when all was said and done I still had some clean up (the angles themselves)to do with a sharp chisel and to be honest it really wasnt that much easier than had I just drilled the holes on the DP to start with.

Thanks all, the drill press it shall be. I downloaded the FWW article and the author made a 10 degree jig to angle the top and sides for the through mortises. It looked fairly straight forward. Thanks again.