Thread: SealCoat question

SealCoat question

If Zinnser's SealCoat is just a de-waxed shellac, can it be used as a *final* finish (e.g. build up many coats) instead of Zinnser's regular shellac? (Then I could have the option of putting a light final coat of poly on it if I wanted more durability)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Paldy View Post
    If Zinnser's SealCoat is just a de-waxed shellac, can it be used as a *final* finish (e.g. build up many coats) instead of Zinnser's regular shellac? (Then I could have the option of putting a light final coat of poly on it if I wanted more durability)
    Yes, it's just shellac. However, shellac is not intended to be "built up" by many applications. It's a hard and brittle finish. When it gets too thick, it will crack and craze.
    Howie.........

Why would anyone use Zinnser's regular shellac (which has wax) when they could just use SealCoat?

I like waxed shellac for some purposes, like plane totes and when it is my final finish top coat.

Good question, I've wondered the same myself, here are a few reasons I can think of....

1. Believe their regular shellac is a heavier cut than their SealCoat.

2. Regular is available in a couple different colors - orange and blonde that I know of, maybe they have a garnet too?

3. Some finishers swear by using regular waxed shellac because they claim it applies differently...maybe the waxes help lubricate it during brushing?

When used as a final finish, the wax contributes to the total package. Think floors, furniture, trim, etc. The wax adds to the water resistance, I'm told.

A pair of nightstands done for my son and daughter-in-law this way have held up pretty well, in a challenging environment.

And I usually wax the piece anyway, for the final step...

Contrary to popular belief, waxed shellac is actually less water resistant than dewaxed. The wax actually causes the finish to absorb more moisture.