Thread: Shaker Table Drawers

Shaker Table Drawers

For a Shaker Table Class I am teaching in August I am making a prototype, a knockdown and a spare (table). (See previous post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61151 ) My summer has been crazy and is getting crazier as I am going to Poland for a cooling test this week (my engineering day job). I just finished up the drawers on the tables. I used the leigh jig to turn a pile of 4 boards into a drawer box:

Hand cut is not fesible in a 3 day class! Drawer slips are grooved strips of wood that let you make the drawer sides thinner and yet have a grove to slide the bottom into. I glued in drawer slips (one on each side) followed by beveling the bottom to fit the grooves. note the grain orientation is side to side to allow the wood movement to go harmlessly to the back as opposed to the side which could make the drawer tight in the summer.

All hand planes! It could be done on a table saw but I just wanted to lay out the bevel and plane it. As you can see it fits up pretty nice! A slot was made in the bottom at the back to accept a screw (screwed up into the back of the drawer) to support the bottom but allow seasonal wood movement. Slot is not shown.

And finally the drawer in the table:

It's been a fun but busy summer. I'm looking forward to the class!
    Last edited by D.McDonnel "Mac"; 07-30-2007 at 8:58 AM.
    Mac

Mac, first I commend you for all the time and effort you are putting into preparing for the class. It sounds fantastic!!

I took a similar class at the WoodCraft store in Stanton, California. The thread, including pictures of the Shaker table I made in the class is here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=shaker+table

I tried in the post to mention how we built the drawers and showed a picture of the joint in the front of the drawer using a dado set on the table saw. The drawer sides, back and bottom were made from Baltic Birch.

The class I took didn't have any "skill level" required. Personally I think that the drawer you are showing here, while it looks fantastic, is more than a "beginning" student can do in the three day class. If your "students" will have the skills necessary to make that drawer in such a short class that will work out great. I've learned a lot about making drawers just looking at your pictures.

It sounds like you're enjoying getting ready for the class. I'd love to be one of your students. From your posts I can tell it will be a well taught class and your students will learn a lot.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 07-29-2007 at 11:48 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don you are probably right but I'm going to give it a try. My plan is to mill all the drawer stock at one time while they are building the base. For the dovetailing I will show them how I set up the Leigh jig for the drawer joints, a demo of sorts. I am fortunate that American Sycamore has two Leigh jigs as I will set one up for the half blinds and the other for the through dovetails. I believe we can make pretty short work of the drawer joints this way. I may be wrong but I have to try as it makes such a wonderfull drawer.

One advantage I have at American Sycamore is the hours we can work. Most of the students stay right there in the housing on the school property, as will I, and we can work late into the evening if we get behind.

Yes I am having fun preparing for the class. Preparing for classes has helped me as a woodworker forcing me to look at how I do things in my own work so I can teach it, also allowing me to find lazy or sloppy habbits and eliminating them. If you are at all serious about taking a class I have a blanket chest class the first week in October and more next year. I'd love to have some fellow Creekers in the classes!
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by D.McDonnel "Mac" View Post
    Yes I am having fun preparing for the class. Preparing for classes has helped me as a woodworker forcing me to look at how I do things in my own work so I can teach it, also allowing me to find lazy or sloppy habbits and eliminating them.
    True words Mac! Guys like me are very appreciative of your time and effort to show us your work & Techniques.....thanks a bunch! The class will be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by D.McDonnel "Mac" View Post
    Don you are probably right but I'm going to give it a try. My plan is to mill all the drawer stock at one time while they are building the base. For the dovetailing I will show them how I set up the Leigh jig for the drawer joints, a demo of sorts. I am fortunate that American Sycamore has two Leigh jigs as I will set one up for the half blinds and the other for the through dovetails. I believe we can make pretty short work of the drawer joints this way. I may be wrong but I have to try as it makes such a wonderfull drawer.

One advantage I have at American Sycamore is the hours we can work. Most of the students stay right there in the housing on the school property, as will I, and we can work late into the evening if we get behind.

Yes I am having fun preparing for the class. Preparing for classes has helped me as a woodworker forcing me to look at how I do things in my own work so I can teach it, also allowing me to find lazy or sloppy habbits and eliminating them. If you are at all serious about taking a class I have a blanket chest class the first week in October and more next year. I'd love to have some fellow Creekers in the classes!

I sounds like you have everything under control. The tools and facility you have sound a lot better than the WoodCraft classroom. Working into the evenings is something we just couldn't do, but we did the sanding for "homework" after the second session. Like I said, it sounds like your students will learn a lot.

The facility you're teaching at sounds fantastic. Some day I might just take you up on that offer to come and take a class. This year I have my last year teaching in a third grade classroom that finish up first before I can retire and be able to do things on my schedule. I'm also spending my "travel" money this year on taking our basset hound to some dog shows.

I'm glad to hear how much you're enjoying getting ready for the class. As someone who has been a teacher for thirty six years, I can really appreciate that. I'm a firm believer that teaching is a gift and special talent. It sounds like you have both. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 07-30-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Well here it is 99% done. Best I could do before leaving for Poland tomorrow.

See y'all when I get back!

Mac
    Mac

Great table, Mac...and safe travels to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is the Internet Great or what!

Here I sit, my second day in Poland, checking on what's happening with my woodworking friends back home just as if I were sitting in my easy chair at home!

This has been a productive day (paying job wise). We are working tomorrow but I think we will have Sunday to play tourist. It's an interesting place. You can see the whole Soviet/Communist hand in the country but it is being replaced with modern European culture and buildings. Capitolism is definitly taking root and flourishing.

Well off to bed to try and sleep off some more of this jet-lag!
    Mac

Class was great

I got back froom Poland Thursday the 9th and got up and went to ASWR to teach the next morning. I was okay until about noon to 1300 when my mind started getting a bit less sharp. We muddled through though and had some fun. I had three willing students that did a fine job especially considering the jet-lagged instructor. Now how about some Pix!

Here we are tuning the tennons to fit the mortices with .... gasp... handplanes!

Then we glued up the legs and sides. Here Chris was helping his pseudo-brother-in-law Jeff with glue application!

The anal instructor insisted on complicating the drawers by adding old-fashioned drawer slips to the sides (to hold the beveled solid wood bottom). They'll never wear out but we just about did!

Finally after much effort we have completed tables. They really looked good!

A lot of fun and a lot of work but I can't wait until my next class!

Thanks for following along with my adventures.
    Mac

Cool

Mac, congratulations. Your students did a great job!!! I'm sure that they appreciate all the prep work that you did for the class. Now get some sleep.

BTW -- That looks like a wonderful facility to teach in, even down to the brush and dust pan on each bench.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 08-20-2007 at 11:48 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Excellent!! The students did great work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice table, Mac! While I have never used draw slips, it is nice to see how it is done. Looks like your students had fun as well.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thanks guys! I had fun despite being tired. I need to finish up the three I started and used for class demos.

Don, Mike and Dana run a nice place at American Sycamore. Check them out sometime.

Mac
    Mac

Looks like a great time was had by all and the finished products look great. I've been thinking about attending American Sycamore everything I here about it has been very positive and I REALLY need an upgraded workbench................thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
    David