Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'd have to disagree with that. I took the same files I ran on a servo driven machine to a demo of the Universal with steppers and found that the time was actually less. Not by much, but it was less on all jobs. I run a certain type product, almost all rastered, very frequently. On the Servo system, the time was always in the 12-13 minute range and with the new system, it's constantly in the 10:30-11:30 range with better quality. It may be true in some machines, but not in the two machines asked about. I have both sitting right next to each other.
    Just curious the ULS Versalaser is a entry line laser system and the 36ext is top of the line laser system. Did you run both the raster files at 100% speed?

When I was shopping for a laser, the ULS professional series were way faster than the Versalaser. I am suprised the entry level ULS is faster than the top of the line Epilog, unless I am reading something wrong.

Kim

I thought I said earlier (somewhere) that I was comparing equal machines, the Helix vs. the PLS system in regard to speed/quality. I'm comparing apples to apples, two machines of the same size in the same class.

I will add that just because someone says their machine will do "X" IPS means nothing to me. I've had Epilog tell me many times "slow the speed down to 60%". If I have to slow it down to 60% to get it to raster plastic, then it's really not important to me that it'll run "X" IPS. You really have to take the applications to the machines and try them. In many cases, the times will be close and the quality the same. In other cases, they won't. You won't know what works better for your application from reading a brochure or watching a canned demo.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

it always seems like a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge (although we all know that Ford is best) debate. You need to learn all you can and take into cosideration what you are going to do with the sysytem. Then make an educated pick.

Good luck.
    Epilog mini 24 with 45 watts
    X3
    More wood working tools then I deserve

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I

You really have to take the applications to the machines and try them. In many cases, the times will be close and the quality the same. In other cases, they won't. You won't know what works better for your application from reading a brochure or watching a canned demo.
    This is what everyone is saying in your application you might have to slow down to 60% to raster plastic but in other applications where you could run it at 100% speed on a servo you will see the difference in speed. You have to remember the same machine can have different power lasers so what you raster at 60% speed in a 40Watt machine you will be doing 100% in a higher wattage machine.

Take an application where you can raster at 100% speed on both machines and see the time difference, that would be an apples to apples comparison on the speed capability.

Kim

Kim, trust me, I used the same materials and tested many different files/materials. Never found one to be substantially faster than the other.

I'm not saying one is better than the other at all. In fact I'm saying that you can't tell the difference. If you put the machines side by side and didn't know which one was which, then I seriously doubt you could tell which one was the servo system by watching it run. The differences are so minute. There are far more relevant parts of the machine to consider than this issue. If you're down to seconds on the run time, and that's important to you, then you should be looking at the Trotec. If you're not worried about seconds, then this issue has no bearing in it, in my opinion.

How about cost of operation? Cost to refill tube? Life of tube? Maintenance costs? Resale value? I bet you my hat that those are much more important issues to consider than the type of motor system. Unfortunately I've had many conversations with people higher up in laser companies lately. Perhaps one day I'll share the things I have been told that make me feel this way. I've heard it straight from the horses mouth. I've been told to run many jobs on various types of plastics at 60% to get acceptable results. How many other people out here would buy a machine thinking you can use it at 100%, the book says 100% on that material, and then the factory says "Try 60%". That's not what they tell you during the sales pitch. That's why I said take your applications there and see it run for yourself.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott,
    I trust you.... I was in Vince's shoes many years back and went with Epilog for the so called 'Speed' even though I had a better deal on the ULS. If I had the real info I would have got the ULS, no regrets but I guess I was in a way Justifying my decision.

Kim
    Last edited by Kim Vellore; 08-26-2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wording