Thread: SCMS vs Radial

SCMS vs Radial

I am looking into getting a larger capacity cross cutting machine with dado head capability in the near future. Does anyone know of a SCMS with the the cpability of using a stacked dado head? I have the 10" Bosch SCMS and it has work very well for my current needs. I know of all the safety issues of cutting on the push stroke vs pull on a radial arm. I have used a radial arm saw before. I would not be doing any ripping on the radial, just cross cutting and dadoes. What does everyone think about the two? which do you prefer and why? Also would you buy a used old Dewalt or buy a new Original Saw radial arm saw (12")?

Paul,

In all honesty, I'd buy neither. I used to have a RAS. Got rid of it about a year ago and don't miss it. I would sooner get the Festool plunge saw and guide, which would then lend itself to doing all kinds of other work, including portable work. I leave the dado work for shelving and such to the tool intended for it: The router. And it would all take up a lot less real estate in your shop. Just MHO, of course...
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I'm with John, but if you do go with a RAS, I favor the older Dewalt or and Original Saw machine. Almost anything else being made today pales to them, except for maybe the really big Delta. And I'd still choose the older Dewalt or Original Saw machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with John. I currently own a really nice Delta 10" RAS and a beat up old Craftsman MS. I use the MS much, much more than the RAS, and will in fact be putting the Delta RAS up for sale in the Classifieds forum very soon. My hope is to use the proceeds from the RAS help supplement the purchase of my Hitachi 10" slider.

I'd cut the dadoes with your trusty router and forego the RAS. IMHO.

Keith

Paul, I bought a Craftsman RAS back in the 60's and for years it was the only saw that I owned.The first thing I did was add 4' extensions to the table and after that I used it for cross cutting, ripping, and making molding. I didn't know about a router in those days. With good jigs and common sense there are a multitude of things you can do with a RAS. The biggest hassle is to keep it properly aligned. Would I use it for ripping now that I have a TS, probably not, because it really needs to be properly aligned to rip with and it does get out of alignment more than a fence on a TS.

As far as getting a use one or a new one I can only tell about the Craftsman and when I compare my RAS with what they have on the market now I would take mine in a heartbeat. Of course when you buy something used you have to determine the amount of wear that it has and take that into consideration.

DK

first, SCMS are not designed for a dado head. For one, there is no room in the upper blade cover for them.
    I have both an older Craftsman RAS and a Bosch 4410 SCMS (see the review at the link below) and use the SCMS way more often. It has nearly the same capacity, is exceptionally accurate and I can wheel it around to whereever I need it, an important consideration in a small shop.

I'd go with the SCMS if I was buying one or the other today.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/bosch4410rvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Older Sears RAS

Look for a decent used Craftsman Radial Arm saw. If the model # starts with 113.xxxx there is a recall on these and if not already applied to that saw's serial # you will get a new table including the clamping mechanisms and supports, new guards and blade cover. The recall is due to a bunch of people cutting off fingers and things due to the guards not being there.

I got a 10" table saw and 10" RAS last year for $50.00 (a guy at work was moving to a house where there was no place to use or store them and didn't want to pay for storage. I kept the RAS and gave the table saw to my dad and sent in for the recall. I now have a saw that is as good as new (even better than what they sell today) and am only out $50.00. You too can find a good deal like this with the popularity of SCMS's and the bad rap on the RAS. I use mine for shelf dadoes all the time. I bought a dado blade guard for my old 8-1/4" RAS and it fits the 10" as well.

I have the following and would not part with any of them.
    10" RAS
    8-1/4RAS
    12" CMS
    10" Table Saw

Good luck with your decision

FWIW, I have a 60's vintage RAS in my shop- Price was right- FREE. I would not give it up for anything.

Bill R

Blog Entries

Radial Arm saw

I have a craftsman Radial Arm saw in my shop. Mostly, it collects dust. I fiond I can do most of hte cuts it will do easier, faster and safer on my TS. It is a pain to get accurate angled cuts with the RAS. Yes it will do compund angles, but getting the setup accurate takes a lot of time and is extremely difficult to repeat. From what I've seen, a SCMS is much more useful even though it won't take a dado head.

I've cut dados with my RAS and it is tricky to get them to feed without grabbing. The wider the dado the greater the problem.

I probably should sell mine and get the space back in my shop, but I use the base for storing short pieces and haven't yet convinced myself that it should really go.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute