Thread: New to Turning Centering Problem

New to Turning Centering Problem

Good afternoon.

Im am totally new to turning, and am having what is likely a very basic centering problem....

I have this piece of cherry log that I cut quite a while back. Kids and wife are out for the day, so I thought I would get out in the shop and see what i can do to it (very low expectations here).

A friend gave me this lathe about a year ago, I have turned it on once, but never turned anything. Today was just to see what I am in for.

I have taken the bulk of a limb cutoff off the log, but still cannot seem to get it running smoothly. I know the piece is not weighted evenly, since one side has the cutoff on it. You can see what i mean in the video below:

http://www.astate.edu/executive/cio/mvi_0615.avi

Any suggestions on where to start with this?

Thanks.

Irv

I see the C Clamps on the leading edge of the base. That's fine. But if the rear edge is not also secured to the workbench you'll get what you've got.
    Only the Blue Roads

First off Irvin, WELCOME to the Vortex!! You've got a good start. Now, with your roughing gouge slowly take the log down until she stops vibrating. Then you will be in a place to start your work.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Welcome Irvin. Like Chris said. Take you roughing gouge and make it round. That will take care of the viberation once that is done and the piece is round.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the replies.

I work mostly in the flat world, where symetry is only for visual effect. Wood moving at a high rate of speed is new for me....

I will be bolting both sides to the bench and then roughing it round to see what effect we have.

Thanks again.

Irv

Irwin

What speed is that turning at? It looks fast for a log so out of round.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Good morning.

As a followup:

I bolted the other side to the table also, and my results were the same...

I did some playing around and put a smaller, more round piece on the lathe and it did just fine.

I am thinking perhaps it is spinning too fast?? This is not a high-end lathe. There are three speed adjustments, which are achieved by placing the belt on different pulleys.

Should I slow this thing down?

Thanks.

Irv

mornin Irwin
    all the guys are right..just take a roughing gouge to it with light cuts and please be sure and wear your face shield.
    It is a low end lathe as u say ..I had the harbor freight brand of that same lathe and it does have a very high "low" speed..think its like 1100 if I remember right..for spindle work like your trying its not to bad..but is a light weight lathe.
    If the belt is not on the lowest setting then adjust it and that should slow it down some...always start the big stuff on the lowest speed and once round then step it up if u feel comfortable with it.

all in all its not a bad lathe to get started on
    good luck
    Bob

Welcome to the Creek Irvin. Just remember to keep it slow as possible untill you get em rounded.Looks like you got the right idea.
    John 3:16