Thread: Stupid plane blade questions

Stupid plane blade questions

It all got started for me when I decided to try to use gramps old plane that I inherited. My brother took the other one, and left me with the defiance and a wrapped pack of blades. (I've since been buying better and learning tuning still)

I was over at my brothers and I asked about the plane (trying to figure out what number it was), and it was a Bailey (didn't date it or even take it out for drinks ).

So when I got home I opened the pack and found one Sweetheart blade and two Rule and lever blades. (two different size blades).

Are Sweetheart BLADES better, or just the planes in general? And if it is better, should I date it my brother plane and put it with it if appropriate?

Thanks and sorry for the long story.

I do not think that sweetheart blades are inherently better than newer ones, they are still rather thin. However if the date with your brothers plane indicates that it is a sweetheart plane than having the right blade with it, will make it somewhat more valuable to a collector. Of course no one here is a collector.

I should add that if you listen to some guys those thin Stanley blades are no good for nothing, though in fact of you sharpen them, and tune your plane, and you do not normally deal with knarly or tropical hardwoods they are more than adequate
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Thanks

I never quite understood what the sweetheart spot of the Stanley planes was about.

I do have a plane that is running out of blade, and asked because I am tempted to go ahead and try a Hock in it.

A Hock blade will give you better performance than a Stanley blade of any era. The good thing is that if you have a collectible blade like a sweetheart, you can put it on the shelf, use the Hock, and put the collectible blade back if you ever decide to sell the plane.

Sweetheart

I think Sweetheart blades are the best ones that Stanley made. They hold a edge very similar to 01 tool steel blades that I have.

Those are good blades. Hang onto them. When you sharpen the Stanley Rule and Level blades (and I think the Sweetheart one) you should see a lamination line across the bevel, where the hard cutting steel was forged onto the backing.

Not arguing about relative merits of the Stanley ones vs. the Hock ones, but the old blades you and your brother have are good ones. I think it's sensible to keep the correct blade with the correct plane, even if, as Wilbur suggests, you use a modern blade at the bench.

Wiley