Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are your tools made?

Wow, I didn't think I'd see this topic floating around here ever again. This is a very touchy subject that almost always ends in a fight. Everybody has their views and nobody wants to back down.

All I can say to add to this topic is that just because you feel one way, doesn't mean that you are right, so please remember that when you feel the urge to insult the people who disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I disagree. Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but it sounds to me like you're implying that China, Taiwan and Mexico are incapable of producing ANY quality and that no good tools come from those countries. One step further, it sounds like you are saying that no tools made by those three countries compares in quality to a US made one of the same type?

That seems awefully general. I'd bet that every countery has both good and bad manufacturers. I'd also bet some of those good manufacturers could give us a run for our money.

Maybe I'm just reading you wrong.
    I think that the issue is that it is very hard to determine if you're getting a quality tool or not.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is better chance of getting an inferior tool that is made in China, twain or Mexico than there is of getting an inferior tool made in the US, Germany, Japan, Canada, etc.

It may be a generalization, but you have to play the percentages. Some companies have a reputation for managing their overseas quality very well. That does offer a degree of comfort.

Germany, Italy, Sweden, China, USA

My new Jet jointer was made in Taiwan, as expected.
    My Cabinet tablesaw (Delta Industrial) was made in America (Brazil ).
    I have some older P-C and Craftsman power tools that are American.

As for Cars
    Vehicel stickers state the content of American components in the vehicle.
    "Typical" Big three cars are over 50% American... more like 75%
    "Typical" Transplant vehicles are under 50% American... more like 30%
    This is usually due to big ticket items like engine and transmission...also heavy design content.
    Also remember that much of the engineering and most of the profit is going back to the Mother/Fatherland.
    Interesting note: GM sells more Buicks in China than in North America (US, Canada and Mexico)

I don't judge anyone for not driving/buying american, just don't tell me that your Accord or Camry is as american as a GM or Ford.

I think the biggest gripe I have is that the United States of America has become a nation of consumers, and while we produce a some very fine products (Kreg, Forrest, etc.), an inordinate amount of our goods come from China/Taiwan. Merely look at the port exspansions happening along our coastlines. It's not because we're exporting things.

So, now the workers who no longer manufacture and assemble things in America, can at least buy those products cheaply at Wal-Mart. (Remember when Wal-Mart used to proudly display a "Made in the USA" sign on merchandise?)

For what it's worth, Mr. Angle, unfortunately the Terms of Service for the Sawmill Creek Forum require us to use our real names. It's not a big thing, but we're all pretty nice and friendly anyway. I'm sure you won't mind.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 08-28-2007 at 5:17 PM.
    Maurice

O.K. folks ..ponder this . Right now the Big Three are in dire straights because of foreign competition. If and I mean IF.. everyone for the next four years bought nothing but traditional American cars the economy would take a extreme upswing because the demand would go up so high they would have to hire all the people back that took buyouts and then some. The small mom and pop machine shops and tool and die buisinesses would boom once again. Henry Fords idea was to bring raw materials in one door and roll a finished autmobile out the other. Today much is outsourced. To do that under one roof today would be near impossible due to the amount of parts required to build one style of vehicle let alone 15. Thats why the small jobbing shops that specialize in small parts; alternators ,window motors, brake calipers, etc are needed. The Ford axle plant I work at once employed over 8,000 people now we are down to about 2,000 and shrinking. Almost all of that is due to our patriotic brethren buying foreign. It was said by Ron Gettlefinger,Pres of the UAW, that most foreign cars that are ASSEMBLED here have only about 7-8% of the parts made here. Someday soon,I hope, people will remember what the Japanese did to us Dec 7th,1941 and change the trend. I've been wondering how long will it be before we forgive and forget what happened Sept 11th 2001 and jump in bed with Al-Qeida(?) and Osama bin Laden?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons View Post
    Someday soon,I hope, people will remember what the Japanese did to us Dec 7th,1941 and change the trend.
    The sins of the fathers are not visited upon the children. The Japanese who were in power during WWII are not running the country today - most of them are probably not alive. I've had the pleasure of knowing many Japanese people (and lived with some) and they're just like us.

There are some Japanese fanatics who would echo you, but they'd say, "How can you buy an American car? Remember what the Americans did to us on August 6, 1945."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

. Someday soon,I hope, people will remember what the Japanese did to us Dec 7th,1941 and change the trend. I've been wondering how long will it be before we forgive and forget what happened Sept 11th 2001 and jump in bed with Al-Qeida(?) and Osama bin Laden?[/quote]

Yea, and I'm starting to see alot of "Made in Viet Nam" products, lately What's up with that?

Gary K.

Boy, these kinds of threads always seem to go South in a hurry.

The short answer is: It's a global economy already. If you think you can unring the bell, get over it--you can't. Japan had their turn and they're already outsourcing to Korea. Korea is getting better and outsourcing some to China. China will no doubt get better and outsource to Mongolia or Albania. The year the number of US manufacturing jobs fell below that of white collar workers was--1956! (Source: U.S. Census Bureau.)

I agree with Gary Keedwell on this ( ). Most Americans will not pay the premium for US-made goods. Period. And members of this forum are not representative of the general weekend handyman buying his tools at Lowes. Too late.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Right now the Big Three are in dire straights because of foreign competition.
    The "Big Three" are in trouble because of a combination of things. They have consistently failed to produce attractive, desireable, and durable cars that compete with their foreign counterparts. The stupid deals they have made with the UAW are a huge factor in their troubles too.

If and I mean IF.. everyone for the next four years bought nothing but traditional American cars the economy would take a extreme upswing because the demand would go up so high they would have to hire all the people back that took buyouts and then some.
    I would posit a totally different outcome of that scenario. Due to the lack of real competition, cars would become the crappy junk that the "Big Three" produced in the 70's and 80's and would at the same time become more expensive. There would be a complete meltdown in auto manufaturing as consumers decide to hang on to their reliable old imports rather than spend their money on junk.

Competition is sometimes painful, but it is the only way to ensure that the consumer gets a wide selection of goods and services at the best possible price.

As to the comment about Dec 7th 1941, the list of historical grieviances is endless. Those who insist on dwelling on them do nothing but make themselves miserable.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

O.K. folks ..ponder this . Right now the Big Three are in dire straights because of foreign competition. If and I mean IF.. everyone for the next four years bought nothing but traditional American cars the economy would take a extreme upswing because the demand would go up so high they would have to hire all the people back that took buyouts and then some. The small mom and pop machine shops and tool and die buisinesses would boom once again. Henry Fords idea was to bring raw materials in one door and roll a finished autmobile out the other. Today much is outsourced. To do that under one roof today would be near impossible due to the amount of parts required to build one style of vehicle let alone 15. Thats why the small jobbing shops that specialize in small parts; alternators ,window motors, brake calipers, etc are needed. The Ford axle plant I work at once employed over 8,000 people now we are down to about 2,000 and shrinking. Almost all of that is due to our patriotic brethren buying foreign. It was said by Ron Gettlefinger,Pres of the UAW, that most foreign cars that are ASSEMBLED here have only about 7-8% of the parts made here. Someday soon,I hope, people will remember what the Japanese did to us Dec 7th,1941 and change the trend. I've been wondering how long will it be before we forgive and forget what happened Sept 11th 2001 and jump in bed with Al-Qeida(?) and Osama bin Laden?
    Henry Fords goal also was to pay it's workers enough money that they could afford to buy the vehicles they built. How many Chineese would you supose can afford to buy a tablesaw ?

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    The stupid deals they have made with the UAW are a huge factor in their troubles too.

I don't think you can blame the unions that stick up for american workers.

PM66 & PM54 - U.S. though I think that's changed some since mine were made
    MM16 - Italy
    Performax 16/32 - U.S. I think
    DeWalt routers - dont have a clue
    Stanley stuff - some U.K., some Connecticut, some who knows where
    Starrett stuff - U.S.
    Bridge City Stuff - Oregon
    Delta lathe - Milwaukee
    Delta B.O.S.S. - ?????
    Monster DP - U.S.
    Cyclone - S.Carolina
    Lee Valley planes - Canada
    LN planes/chisels - Maine
    Marples chisels - U.K.
    Anant Plane - India
    Festool stuff - Deutschland
    MicroFence - Kaleefawnya
    Woodrat - U.K.
    Noden bench parts - N.J.
    My first decent workbench - Waterford, MI
    Japanese Pull Saws - ?????
    Red WW tights w/ blue apron/cape - Planet Krypton
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    Henry Fords goal also was to pay it's workers enough money that they could afford to buy the vehicles they built. How many Chineese would you supose can afford to buy a tablesaw ?
    Not going to argue but the Chinese industry today is where the American industry was many moons ago when Americans couldn't afford table saws either. The kind of woodworking we enjoy today in America and other prosperous Nations, is only a dream in many, many poor countries.

Gary K.

I shouldn't do this... but if I had been the cautious sort I never would have become one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children... "Semper Fi, do or die!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    I don't think you can blame the unions that stick up for american workers.
    Are you sure you don't mean "hold up American workers"? ...and yes, I can.

I'm proudly non-union now, but for years I worked for UPS. The Teamsters did nothing for me except extort money and hold me back. Union rules made it nearly impossible to promote anyone for performance. You were just told to stand in line and shut up. I worked several other union jobs in my life and found the same story each time.

I was forced to come to the conclusion that unions primary function is to provide a nice living and lots of influence to the bosses (and their underground "affiliates"), and act as a blanket to smother initiative and promote mediocrity.

Most unions are profoundly anti-competition. If a company needs to reorganize a union makes it very difficult to do so in any kind of sane way. Instead of getting rid of underperformers while keeping and rewarding those who deserve it, union rules almost always force them to get rid of the newest first. That's assinine and it's no way to remain competitive.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot