Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Should I Do With a Junk Mobile Home?

What Should I Do With a Junk Mobile Home?

Folks here seem to know everything, so I thought I would ask this somewhat strange question. What should I do with a junk mobile home?

My mother-in-law currently lives in a very old, dilapidated mobile home and will soon relocate. Without going into details, you'll have to trust me that once MIL moves out, this mobile home will be considered "uninhabitable".

The mobile home is currently in a very small trailer park in Oklahoma. I'm assuming she just can't leave it there. My brother recently spent over a thousand dollars having his mobile home moved (trailers are popular in OK). I sure hope I'm not going to have to pay someone a thousand dollars to move a junk mobile home to a junk yard.

I did some Googling and found a few mobile home disposal services, but nothing in Oklahoma, which is strange considering that state is the trailer capitol of the world.

My sister and her husband had a new place built and lived in an old double wide until it was done It cost them $2,000 to have it removed.

My suggestion is bring in a truck, and take it apart then haul the pieces to the dump.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks, Joe. I doubt I could use my brother's 1/2 ton to haul away fifty foot steel I-beams. Although my brother also drives an 18-wheeler, I think we'd need a crane to lift the frame onto a flatbed.

Jeez, I'd hate to pay thousands of dollars to dispose of a worthless mobile home.

Pat,

My brother and sister-in-law had a similar issue with theirs. They bought it second or third hand to use while they built their house - 8 years later their house was finished (another story, but they finished it with zero debt owed against it - we're a patient family).

They put it up for sale at cost of movement. Basically - if you move it, it's yours. They had three offers in a couple days... One was a fella who wanted a hunting camp setup another was a family doing the same thing and the third was a needy family that had volunteer help to move it.

Hope you have as much luck!
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

^^ Thanks, Stephen. I'm not sure a band of Huns would want this trailer, but I guess it might be worth a try. Come to think of it, it does have a very large central heat and A/C system. My FIL installed it himself. He was an HVAC guy before he died last Spring. Perhaps someone would want the trailer for the central heat and air system.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Thanks, Joe. I doubt I could use my brother's 1/2 ton to haul away fifty foot steel I-beams. Although my brother also drives an 18-wheeler, I think we'd need a crane to lift the frame onto a flatbed.

Jeez, I'd hate to pay thousands of dollars to dispose of a worthless mobile home.
    If you can tear the rest of the trailer apart and only need to cut up the frame, see if you can find a friend who has an acetylene cutting rig (any fair size gas welding rig will have a cutting torch) and just cut the frame up into small pieces. You can then take it to the scrap yard and sell it instead of paying to dispose of it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm not sure if this is feasible or not for your situation but I needed to get rid of a duplex on a piece of property and I told my local fore department that they could use it for training. They practiced in it and on it for a few months and finally burned it down.

It was great!
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Shop addition! Wood storage!, A warm place to spend the night when you've overspent the tool budget!
    Oh, and depending on the era of the trailer, there may be collectors looking for your particular model - who knows.

Good luck,

Wes

Trebuchet - otherwise known as the EZ-TrailerTrasher
    http://www.fitz-claridge.com/Trebuchet/piano.html

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
    Use the fence Luke

Pat,

First, don't assume anything. Find out what the terms of the lease are. Chances are the trailer can sit there if someone pays the monthly fee.

Then, try to sell it in situ if you are allowed. You would be surprised at what people will buy if it is inhabitable at all. One man's dilapidated is another man's fixer-upper.

Again, checking the terms of the lease, it may be possible to abandon it to the land owner.

I suggest sifting through options that do not force you to move it at all.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Sell/give it to the trailer park, let them rent it out. Put a sales sign in the window. Give it to someone who works with the homeless, its probably better then living in a car!
    Scott

Whatever you do, make sure you get documentation of the transfer of ownership. You don't want them coming back 3 years down the road saying that its abandoned and yours to deal with. You may also need to think about what you feel morally obligated to do vs. what you are legally obligated to do. You might be legally able to abandon it for the the landowner to deal with, but you'll have to decide for yourself if that is the right thing to do.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. What makes this situation more difficult is my MIL is in Oklahoma and I'm in Colorado. She doesn't have anyone in OK to help her which is why she's going to move to Kansas with my SIL. I'll be in OK next week. I'll try to see what my options are.

I'm going to ask the trailer park owner if he might want the trailer. What makes the trailer really awful is the animals who have lived in it for many years and what they left behind. I'm pretty sure even the floorboards are "contaminated".

Put a sign up.

Free trailer. You Move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Folks here seem to know everything, so I thought I would ask this somewhat strange question. What should I do with a junk mobile home?

My mother-in-law currently lives in a very old, dilapidated mobile home and will soon relocate. Without going into details, you'll have to trust me that once MIL moves out, this mobile home will be considered "uninhabitable".

The mobile home is currently in a very small trailer park in Oklahoma. I'm assuming she just can't leave it there. My brother recently spent over a thousand dollars having his mobile home moved (trailers are popular in OK). I sure hope I'm not going to have to pay someone a thousand dollars to move a junk mobile home to a junk yard.

I did some Googling and found a few mobile home disposal services, but nothing in Oklahoma, which is strange considering that state is the trailer capitol of the world.
    Have you seen the "Things to do with a Sawzall" thread?

_Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator