Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $100.00 and 8 days what would you make

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I'm w/ Bruce on this. Give 'em some cash now. If you want to make something for them later, when you've identified a real need, then fine.
    Well, it didn't seem from the way the op worded it that it was an option. He said that his wife wanted him to build something. Guy said that he is working 60 hours per week and has 8-days. Maybe a nicely worded card that promisses a table, clock, cabinet, etc. for their new house when they get there (assuming they are going tht route). Not like it is a total stranger or a co-worker - it is his brother-in-law.

I don't know, maybe I am being crass but that doesn't seem beyond the pale to me.

Just to add to it, the only excuse for giving them a handmade gift late would be, "The paint/finish is still wet, sorry!". Other than that they would feel guilty that you spent money you couldn't afford and/or spent time you didn't have. If they're not the nicest people they might also think that you're just a lazy cheapskate! Just kidding! But I do remember at my wedding 4 or 5 of my relatives all signed the card that went with a cheap gas grill. They weren't poor people either. What that meant to me was that they each spent about $20 and one person made the effort to go to the store to buy it. I was really glad they were there but my relatives are soooo darn cheap! At least they could've got us separate cards. The food per plate at the reception alone cost more than they each spent on the gift they chipped in on. But I love them anyway and was glad they were there even if they were lazy cheapskates. At least none of them got too drunk and threw up on the dance floor!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Well, it didn't seem from the way the op worded it that it was an option. He said that his wife wanted him to build something. Guy said that he is working 60 hours per week and has 8-days. Maybe a nicely worded card that promisses a table, clock, cabinet, etc. for their new house when they get there (assuming they are going tht route). Not like it is a total stranger or a co-worker - it is his brother-in-law.

I don't know, maybe I am being crass but that doesn't seem beyond the pale to me.

I don't know the circumstances of the time constraint but unless the bride and groom in question very suddenly decided to get married giving only 8 days to prepare, putting the gift building off until the last minute and running out of time says, "I didn't think about this until it was too late". If they really did only give 8 days notice before the wedding they shouldn't expect much of anything in the way of a handmade gift. That being said, of course a handmade gift from the heart is really nice as long as it's on time and it doesn't end up in the closet or garage. Then it is just a waste of time and money for the gift givers and a source of guilt and stress for the recipients.

Bruce

Dave,
    do you and them a favor and give them the money...... newlyweds can Always use the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post

Fine. I'd make a real nice box with internal dimensions of 6.25" long, 2.75" wide, and 1.5 to 2" high. I'd use box joints and contrasting woods, and spend an hour or two on it (it would be pretty nice). Now I'd stick a $100 bill in it (6.14 x 2.61"), wrap it up, and give that to them.

How is that? They can keep the other cash/checks from the wedding in it (hopefully they get plenty).

How does that sound?

I LIKE it! Very clever idea, Phil. Only, I'd make it deeper...Just in case there are more people who give them what they need, $$$, instead of people who give them what they think they need.

At my wedding 20 years ago my wife's family, (certainly not mine) gave us enough money to take our honeymoon in Hawaii. I have memories and pictures that will last a lifetime versus a rusted out BBQ grill and some sheets and towels. We got to spend a week returning and exchanging all of the toasters, irons, weird colored towels, etc. that my side of the family gave us so we could get what we needed. It's not that I'm greedy or demanding but I know when I give a gift for an important occasion like a wedding, I'd like them to value it. Unless I know the recipients really, really well I figure I'm better off letting them decide what they will need. Nobody knew we needed that money for our honeymoon. But it kept us from running our credit cards up to the limit and we still had a little left to buy a waffle iron.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Fine. I'd make a real nice box with internal dimensions of 6.25" long, 2.75" wide, and 1.5 to 2" high. I'd use box joints and contrasting woods, and spend an hour or two on it (it would be pretty nice). Now I'd stick a $100 bill in it (6.14 x 2.61"), wrap it up, and give that to them.

How is that? They can keep the other cash/checks from the wedding in it (hopefully they get plenty).

How does that sound?
    HA - now THAT is a good idea!!!

Well Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions

Between working 60 hours a week, commuting another 10 plus orders I am still trying to fill for my WW business had to make a chioce and run with it. I was cleaning out my shop/garage and tucked into the corner of the third bay was the punched tin pie safe that I never finished. It just needs the shelves and the back put on and the tin inserts placed into the door so can you guess what they are getting?

My wife is happy, I don't have to take allot of time from paying customers, or put much extra money into it (wife is laid off)

So everybody wins

Thanks again Dave

Pictures to follow when complete

Dave

Blog Entries

You mean like this???

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lynch View Post
    I don't have a photo with me at the moment, but a long time ago I made a serving tray by buying a set of 6 painted ceramic tiles at Lowe's and then building the tray around it. The tiles have a fruit basket type scene. The tray is maybe 2-1/2 inches deep or so, with handle-holes cut in the ends. I dovetailed the corners, but there's lots of ways it could be done.

The tiles are glued to a plywood bottom, butted tight together, and not grouted (okay, maybe I didn't follow through so well on the functional part -- but it sure looks nice!).

Plus it skips the cooking part and goes right to serving!
    Here's a tray I made with tiles.

You should have time to make some thing like this. Price will be well under the $100, unless you need to buy a couple of router bits to make the tray.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute